Quad City Botanical Center Photos (many)

conifersSeptember 11, 2006

I went back (it's been a couple years) to check out the conifers donated by Chub Harper to our local Botanical Center this afternoon. The labels were all being re-worked, and I found several mistakes, or at least I think I did. A master typed list referring to the numbered markers was all I had to go on, and several I wondered about. Anyway, something for you guys to browse through.

Regards,

Dax

Tsuga canadensis 'Dwarf Upright'

Pinus leucodermis - got some cones too!

Pinus nigra 'Arnold Sentinel' (Arnold's)???

Pinus koraiensis

Pinus cembra 'Glauca'

Picea pungens 'Fat Albert' (These must vary as this one is narrow? - I've seen some real wide and short stout ones)

Picea pungens 'Delp's Dwarf Blue'

Picea omorika (f. 'Pendula')

Picea glauca 'Pendula'

Labled: Picea abies 'Thomson WB' - maybe a spelling mistake and species mistake - (Picea p. 'Thomsen') - I have no idea on this one - completely confused! Looks like a pungens to me, but then again they spelled Thomson differently from the upright pungens cultivar.

Thuja occidentalis 'Warena Lutescens'

Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'

???Taxus cuspidata 'Fastigiate Aurea'??? So as read -

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Graceful Grace'

Pinus strobus 'Horsford'

Picea abies 'Remontii'

Picea abies 'Sherwood Spreader'

Picea abies 'Mucronata'

Juniperus rigida 'Pendula'

No label - but I assume it's a: Hepacoides m... (Seven Sons Flower - I forget the botanical name - fragrance unbelievable and of course the bark does give the plant a name, plus the bloom date)

Last photo - (camera battery problems again - darnit!)

Abies koreana 'Silberlocke' being vamped by lilac's. Got some cones from this one as well! So overall a fun time there.

Daxman

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AlliYum(z5b IL)

Nice pics, Dax! Where in the Quad Cities is this botanical center? Didn't know they had one and might make a nice day trip.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 9:44AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yes, some of the conifer names are wrong. If you have access to a library with manuals, such as at a university with a hort. department you can check them out. You can also do web searches using parts of suspect names to get more information. The flowering shrub is a seven son flower (Heptacodium).

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 10:56AM
conifers

Rock Island - allium. Right at the foot of the Arsenal bridge (5th avenue and approximately 24 street).

bboy - I contacted Chub Harper this morning. He knows what was donated. Thanks though. Now I remember about the Heptacodium, species miconoides or something like that - obviously I combined the two. And then, the email request topic I started, well, I figured out the answer to my own question. But thanks.

Take care all.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 11:31AM
pineresin

"Pinus leucodermis" = Pinus heldreichii

Resin

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 12:22PM
conifers

Oh yah. I knew that.

Thanks Resin,

Dax

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 12:40PM
mrgpag

Dax, If I remember correctly - I think we drove right by the Center when we left your place and went over to Lock & Dam 15 - And I think I remember where it might be - we thought it was a park - which it really is I guess.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 3:31PM
conifers

Yes, mrgpag, There's not many conifers really, but the whole experience for less than four dollars is well worth the visit. I should have recommended that you visited.

There's always a next time.

Dax

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Germinating Juniper (occidentalis and communis)
simple in terms of just planting them and waiting or...
sequoia_stiffy
Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca??
I found this at the nursery today, claiming to be var....
fireweed22
Evergreen shrub suggestions needed
Hello. I will be replacing 3 boxwoods this spring....
zaphod42 SE WI
can someone please help me I.D. this please?
I've had this tree for years and it hasn't seemed to...
mora2817
Your opinion - new white pine leader
This white pine was planted last April. The idiots...
johniferous
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™