Rescued Weeping Fig

lauraeli_May 5, 2014

I rescued a weeping fig from my parents house. Their house is a jungle, which, these days, is attributed to the tough nature of the plants rather than the care given.

Anyway, I have had my eye on this particular plant since they got it 2 or 3 years ago. It is a weeping fig that was gifted to them. These days it is relegated to the corner with little light and minimal care. Still in the original growers pot. So I decided to adopt it. If i get a call in for kidnapping, I suppose I will return it.

Well, the thing is looking rather sad. Yellowing leaves that should be shiny and dark green. The infestation of scales was expected, coming from there. I removed old and yellowing leaves, and pruned off old branches. I sprayed it down with isecticidal soap (neem oil) then repotted it from its 8 inch grower pot into a 12 inch, and gave it a shower.

Question is, when can I put it with my other plants? The desirable spots all have plants already. White flag (peace lily/spathiphylum), philodendron, cordyline, snake plant, african violet, you name it.

Is neem oil a very effective solution for scale? How can I know when they are all dead and gone? With a small-leaf ficus I can hardly go through and remove them all by hand.

Here is how it looks now.

More Discussions
Anyone growing Ischia fig trees?
Just bought a Ischia fig tree at Lowe's. Suppose to...
Sueanne75
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
Just checking -- maintaining figs at shrub size
I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping a couple...
Kristin
rootless cuttings are producing buds
March. Zone 9b. Small bare tree in pot. Black Mission. Five...
four
Sponsored Products
Brass Lamps: 15 in. Vickers Antique Brass Table Lamp TT101287
Home Depot
Hopson Bench - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Deluxe Fire Truck Pedal Riding Toy - DX-20233
$384.95 | Hayneedle
Everit Rust 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$147.40 | Bellacor
Hammary Baja Rectangular Storage Cocktail Table w/ Casters
Beyond Stores