Rescued Weeping Fig

lauraeli_May 5, 2014

I rescued a weeping fig from my parents house. Their house is a jungle, which, these days, is attributed to the tough nature of the plants rather than the care given.

Anyway, I have had my eye on this particular plant since they got it 2 or 3 years ago. It is a weeping fig that was gifted to them. These days it is relegated to the corner with little light and minimal care. Still in the original growers pot. So I decided to adopt it. If i get a call in for kidnapping, I suppose I will return it.

Well, the thing is looking rather sad. Yellowing leaves that should be shiny and dark green. The infestation of scales was expected, coming from there. I removed old and yellowing leaves, and pruned off old branches. I sprayed it down with isecticidal soap (neem oil) then repotted it from its 8 inch grower pot into a 12 inch, and gave it a shower.

Question is, when can I put it with my other plants? The desirable spots all have plants already. White flag (peace lily/spathiphylum), philodendron, cordyline, snake plant, african violet, you name it.

Is neem oil a very effective solution for scale? How can I know when they are all dead and gone? With a small-leaf ficus I can hardly go through and remove them all by hand.

Here is how it looks now.

More Discussions
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
Need to know what kind of fig tree this is!
I am hoping someone may know the variety of this fig...
Shelly Holmes
is this fig mosaic virus?
Hi, I just bought this Panache fig tree a couple weeks...
merriberri
Looking for Cuttings
Hi All. Been looking for fig cuttings. I have 2 Chicago...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™