Mass Sunflowers!

SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)May 17, 2013

Well, I finally got it done. 540 seeds in 67 varieties are now sowed. A special thanks goes out to Ginny for her HUGE contribution to this garden. Although I did fail her in a promise to plant all her seeds but others heard about this garden and gave some seed donations, so I was a bit overwhelmed....more for next year!

I can't wait till august!

Thanks to all for all your contributions and support.

SCG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CLBlakey

don't forget to post pics when they bloom.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:26AM
twrosz

Tomorrow, will finally get around to mine, had needed to do a bunch of soil prep in that area, otherwise would have sown them already ... all three varieties, lol ...

Terrance

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:28AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Yay!! You are very welcome! I can't wait to see what comes up! I hope you get a good variety of fall color. :)

I sowed about 18 varieties today and am soaking the nasturtium for planting on the weekend!

Happy gardening everyone!

Ginny

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:29AM

Oh, you're a wild one, Terry! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:31AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

CLB, you can be certain I will. Man I hate waiting!

Ginny, I am trying to figure out where I can put another bed to use up all the seeds but locations for them to face morning sun are quite limited now :(

Terry, if you would like I can send you some more varieties. Some are courtesy of ginny and others. Just send me your address and I will get them out on tuesday.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:14PM
twrosz

Kind of you to offer the seeds SCG :) ... though, these days I'm needing to force myself to be in cutback mode. I do live local to Ginny and she most generously let me have a go at the rest of her massive seed collection :)

Only sunflower variety I'd love to find is 'Florenza' ... I had ordered these and other must have seeds through a friend, though when I enquired regarding the arrival of them, he just said "oh, I didn't place the order, I hope you don't mind?" ... gggrrr, lol. 'Florenza' is one of my favorites!

SCG ... yep, you gotta post photos when your sunflowers come into bloom!

Terrance

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 4:19PM

Terry, I just planted up the last few seeds I had left of Florenza. I might get 6 plants........but I have lots more seed coming. I also ordered Ring Of fire, Ruby, and Teddy Bear. I will share, of course! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 5:31PM

Hey Ginny, I noticed you said you soaked your nasturtium seeds before planting....well I didn't know this and all mine are sown as of this morning...Should I dig them up? We are expected to have rain for the next few days will that suffice?

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 6:54PM

Rain will work just as well. :) I always soak peas, corn, beans, sweet peas, morning glories and nasturtium. And maybe a few others that I can't think of at the moment. Just gives them a better start, IMO.

You wanna see my nasturtium collection! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 7:09PM

HAHA Ginny I can only imagine. I just got the whirlybird mixed seeds. Next year we should do a trade. I'll order what you need and you can send me a smattering. The wife prefers gardens that are very mixed.

Next year I must add them crackerjack marigolds to my list...they will go awesome with the sunflowers if I decide to do them again.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 8:30PM

I as well, prefer mixed gardens, Lance..... very English Country style...cottage...Shabby Chic....and lots that just like to reseed. :)

I have a rather interesting marigold collection too but much of the seed is probably not viable any more. A package of marigold seed is usually the biggest one so they last forever! This year I only did a few Cracker Jack for the vegies and a few Bonanza for the deck planters.

One year in Saskatoon I grew a whole garden of just marigolds of different types and sizes. Everyone knew my house as the Flower Lady's house on Avenue H! I also had 12 foot high sweet peas all along the back fence! That was a really good garden year. :) Must have been good soil cause I sure didn't know anything about gardening really. Lol!

I wonder what annuals others are growing this year?

Ginny

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:09PM

Update: Out of all the seeds I sowed between what germinated and what the dogs didn't knock down I have 144 plants up. 5 are now starting to have blooms open. My 'Tall' varieties seem a tad disappointing as most are shorter than the medium height varieties. How are your sunflowers doing?

FWIW, I had a couple sunflowers snap off in an accident when they were about 3 feet tall. They started to regrow off the side below the break, good thing I was lazy. So don't give up on them if it happens to you.

SCG

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™