Formula for Soil mixture-containers for figs

socalliegalMay 8, 2010

Hi Folks,

I know you good people have posted about this topic in depth. But even though I consider myself a gardener I guess I am still a begginer. I read two long post about soil for containers, and was a bit bewildered. Could someone lay out in laymans terms the best mix.

There was mention of Turface, perlite, vermiculite, composte, mulch, bark...etc...

Please please a simple laymans mix I can get from garden shop or Home Depot type.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Sometimes we can't get everything we want/need in a soil by relying on someone else to produce it. E.g., you can ask at the pet store for a dog that will fit in your lap but that you can use to pull your sled in the Iditarod, but it's likely you'll need to make some compromises somewhere.

To keep it simple, if you don't want to learn how to make your own soils or why it's a good idea ..... Fafard's makes two mixes that are fairly well-suited to trees in containers. Those mixes are their Nursery mix and their 51L mix. Both are based on pine bark as the primary fraction and much better suited to trees in containers than the peat-based mixes more commonly used because they are easy to find.

If you're bewildered about soils you have my attention, and it's likely I would be able to clear up any confusion, so if you have questions and wish to ask them, or need anything in particular explained ......

Al

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
LosAngelesFigForest website
Please feel free to suggest improvements for the site. I...
Aaron
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
vasilika sika ( king & queen)fig greek
Can anyone post a photo of this fig? Is this fig called...
edarena
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
Help please!!!
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™