Utility-right-of-way question in Calgary

ostrich(3a AB)May 21, 2013

Since there are a few Albertans here, I hope you don't mind me posting this landscaping related question here!

As I am trying to re-do my front yard, I have a landscaper drawn up a plan for me. It looks great! However, when I checked more carefully, I noticed that his design has included trees, big boulders, dry river bed and flower beds in the utility-right-of-way... ugh!

Now, what do I do? Do I need to insist that the trees will have to go? How about the big boulders? They are not a permanent structure, so can they stay there?

I would very much appreciate your advice as I can't find much information on this topic online! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xaroline(zone 3 Calgary)

Perhaps you should ask the Utility companies directly?
Also the City of Calgary has bylaws as to what you can and can not do with your yard.
Caroline

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 7:54AM
CLBlakey

I am not in Calgary but hubby works for a utility company and if they need to get in on a right of way and there is stuff in the way they move it. Trees fences and what have you they do not replace what they move.

I suppose it depends on what you are willing to risk.

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Wed, May 22, 13 at 8:16

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:14AM
shazam_z3

You can't put in any permanent structures (e.g. deck, patio, garage) unless you get a relaxation. You're not doing any of those things so at worst if the utility needs to get in there they'll rip out your stuff. They do not put it back in. They will put down sod at most.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 11:52AM
ostrich(3a AB)

Thank you for your great info, Caroline, CLBlakey and shazam. I spoke with my landscaper and we will have to modify the plan. I think that I will do some "non-permanent" landscaping there but will avoid putting trees there at all. Hopefully that will work... thanks again!

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™