Thuja Green Giants: Houston

kezie(9)September 12, 2006

I am interested in planting a privacy screen in my backyard. I understand Green Giants are good for screening, but I am not sure whether they can take the heat and humidity of Houston. Some websites suggest that they are hardy up to zone 9. Does anyone know whether Green Giants can thrive in Houston? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrgpag

I don't know whether GG would be suitable or not. Have you consulted a reputable nursery in your area or possibly the extension service out of Texas A&M?

I found the attached link. Open the link, go to the bottom of the page and click on the Palm Tree. In the table that opens Thuja spp. is listed under both Medium and Large Shrubs for all coastal areas. Other plants you may want to consider would be some of the various junipers or Arizona Cypress depending on how much room you have to play with.

Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Texas Coastal Areas

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 9:06AM
scotjute

I have a Green Giant in a pot here in Waco area. It did not grow an inch all summer. Now that hottest weather has broke it appears to be stirring. It may be that they quit growing at a certain temperature and then kick back in when it cools down.
Az. Cypress is a tree that is usually recommended for the drier areas west of Trinity R. In general Houston would seem too wet for those.

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 3:47PM
kezie(9)

Thank you very much for your responses. I consulted two nurseries in the area and both of them were of the view that the GG doesn't do particularly well in Houston. I would appreciate other suggestions for privacy screens.

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 4:02PM
scotjute

Eastern Red Cedar comes to mind. It usually has dependable cone/pyramid shape if grown in full sun. It can take moist soil if well-drained.
Other possibilities would be some sort of holly or standard arborvita, but I have no experience with these.

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 11:47AM
kezie(9)

Thanks Scotjute!

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 4:21PM
houstonpat(9a)

My Thuja Green Giant has grown very well in the Houston area. I started it as a 1 gallon at 14". Two years later its 8ft in a 20 gal pot. I will plant it in the spring. It looks somewhat like a full Calocedrus decurens.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Deodar Cedar planted out back....
Finally got the hole dug and the Cedar in-ground. Lots...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Your opinion - new white pine leader
This white pine was planted last April. The idiots...
johniferous
What are these trees?
What are these two conifers? One is blue/gray with...
edlincoln
Please identify this pine tree
Could someone please identify these pine trees? This...
PicoAzores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™