Brussel Sprout question

jwahlton(9B Kisimee)January 1, 2010

I bought brussel sprout plants from the big box store. They really aren't doing anything. They grew a bit, but I really want fresh brussel sprouts! Any hope for my pitiful plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmarion(9aPort St Lucie)

I've never grown them in FL but grew them every year in NH. They are a cold weather crop. Best picked after the first freeze.

Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 4:16PM
yuliana(9a)

I have not tried brussel sprouts because James Stephens, the author of "vegetable gardening in florida", USF professor, does not advocate growing them as they are "challenging" to grow.

Heck, even my three-feet tall broccoli plants who are otherwise beautiful and healthy, are not making heads. I think it's a variety problem. And maybe there is no suitable variety for brussel sprouts in FL, who knows. I am still working on a tomato production, that's a challenge in itself.

Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 10:31PM
cfldoc(9 Clermont, FL)

Sometimes it's worth it to try. For me they do great here in central FL with very little care, plants put out at beginning of October, ready to harvest beginning now. Photos taken today 1/02/10. Good luck, I would try next year as a Fall crop.

Bookmark   January 2, 2010 at 5:26PM
jwahlton(9B Kisimee)

You have got to be kidding me! I'm in Central Florida (Kissimmee), have had my plants in since October and they look nothing like yours. Can I come over and get some of yours? Believe or or not, my kids LOVE brussel sprouts which is why I was wanting to grow my own.

OK. So what did I do wrong? I just planted the 12 plants I got from HD/Lowes, but they haven't grown. I really, REALLY, wanted fresh brussel sprouts :(

Bookmark   January 2, 2010 at 5:51PM
cfldoc(9 Clermont, FL)

Well, like all leaf crops, they like nitrogen. I just made sure to work some 10 10 10 fertilizer into the area at planting time and then side dressed them a couple of times with the same. Also need to keep them watered, but other than that, not much trouble. They actually do better for us here than they did in Pennsylvania where we had aphid problems. Here, at this time of year they don't seem to be bothered. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 2, 2010 at 9:27PM
an_ill-mannered_ache

nicely done, cfldoc... did you start from seeds or bought seedlings? i wonder if we couldn't start the seeds in late august, with the broc & collards? might have to give it a try next year, or talk christine into giving it a try...

Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 10:59AM
writersblock

Wow, those look great, cfldoc!

Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 1:10PM
cfldoc(9 Clermont, FL)

Grew a few from seed and got others from Lowes. Long Island Improved and Jade Cross hybrid. Worth a shot if you like them, but as a Spring crop they don't seem to want to make tight sprouts here, better in the Fall I think.

Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 2:17PM
mickeybettyboop

I also live in Central Florida but near Tampa...My plants also look like the pictures however I have no sprouts on them and was wondering if anyone can tell me why?

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Strawberries rotting!
Hello Florida garden friends! I am having some success...
organic_elizabeth_b
Questions on Coffee Grounds
A friend of mine told me her neighbor suggested she...
manature
Blue Sky Vine yellowing.....
I took a cutting from a Blue Sky Vine when I moved...
echobelly
Callisia Repens is killing my lawn
Hi all, I bought a house a couple of years ago, with...
oldmangroot
Sponsored Products
Laura Ashley Lamps Brussels Table Lamp Chrome BTA303
Home Depot
Saatchi Chrome One Light Pendant Light
$156.00 | Bellacor
Frasier Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Robert Abbey | Edwin Table Lamp
$471.90 | YLighting
Abetta Wide Brush Popper Trail Saddle - 20555W5BK
$450.50 | Hayneedle