Apple tree and Lilacs

lavender_lass(4b)June 5, 2011

It's early June and we've had such a late spring that the apple tree and lilacs are just now blooming. It's supposed to rain today or tomorrow, so I thought I'd better take pictures.

The apple tree is beautiful and very old. There are so many bumble bees and other bugs flying around that it seems to 'buzz' as you walk by.

The lilacs are still opening, but already the fragrance is wonderful! It's not too heavy, but you can smell it from at least 50 feet away. The sheds are normal 6' high size...which shows how big these lilacs and apple tree are. They're all at least 60 years old and we're so fortunate that my husband's grandmother planted them!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elizh(z5/6 MA)

I just heard it's that time in WA... lovely. I'd call that a semidwarf apple, depending on whether you've pruned it down any. (A full sized apple tree can go to 30 feet, but most people don't want them to.)

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 10:16PM
lavender_lass(4b)

Thanks!

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but some of the lilacs are over 20 feet tall. The apple tree is probably about 30 feet tall :)

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 10:46PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Holy smokes!!! Your lilacs are HUGE! Must smell like heaven all around your garden. Didn't get much of a chance to enjoy the ones here since in rained and rained for so long. Plus the two new-ish ones out in the alley didn't bloom. Seeing yours is a good compensation though ;-) Pretty apple tree too. Looks like a good place to sit under and read a book. What kind of apples does it produce?

Thanks for sharing LL!
CMK

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 11:44AM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Your spring flowering tree and shrubs are lovely. And lilacs always smell so nice.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 11:31PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

Very pretty. Those lilacs are huge.
Cher

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 6:16AM
More Discussions
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Gardenweb and the Houzz Team.
I know Gardenweb is now part of the Houzz Team,..however...
nulty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™