Red Spider Mites - Remove Plant & Spray others?

danell(7)September 16, 2012

I planted a pinus strobus nana about two weeks ago and its needles are now turning brown and falling off. I held a piece of white paper under the needles and viola I saw one reddish, translucent mite scurry away. This plant looks really sick yet I did not notice any webbing - yet. Some of the Hinokis have webbing but I'm pretty sure they are just good ol' spiders trapping flies and none of them look sick. Should I just pull out the white pine to save possible infestation to the other plants?

I also have several large, dwarf and slender Hinokis, Junipers, Filicoides, Nordman Fir, Daylillies, and other possible susceptible plants. Should I just spray these with water or insecticidal soap like Safer? Please help, I don't want to lose these. I do have praying mantis but . . .maybe a different predator is needed as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Likely the original rootball is dry. Stick a finger in it to determine if that's so.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 1:15AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Are we talking browning on new growth or old growth?

Now is the time for old growth to yellow and brown. Usually sooner than later for recent transplants.

Did you really find "1"? I wouldn't think twice about protecting plants with any sprays of any sort unless I had a major infestation.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 10:41AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

we need a picture

ken

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Test
Test
bamboo_nuts
Germinating Juniper (occidentalis and communis)
simple in terms of just planting them and waiting or...
sequoia_stiffy
Deodar Cedar planted out back....
Finally got the hole dug and the Cedar in-ground. Lots...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
favourite 5 conifers of all time
WHAT IS YOUR TOP FIVE CONIFERS OF ALL TIME . IF YOU...
rushjason
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™