Sugar to kill Dollarweed?

sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)January 23, 2010

I have read many articles about spreading sugar on your lawn, and then watering it in to about 6 inches. Has anyone tried this? It is supposed to be an organic weed killer. Supposedly if you water it in by watering till the water starts to puddle and then turn off the sprinklers. Wait several minutes until the water is absorbed and then run the sprinklers again then it will work as a weed killer. Will this much watering reduce the "bug attraction" problem that seems inevitable?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar - Weed Killer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

not heard that one. I have heard it feeds beneficial organisms in the lawn..

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 3:22PM
stuartwanda(N. Stuart)

That's a new one on me. Guess you'll have to try it out and let us know the outcome?

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 5:26PM
bugbite(z9a FL)

I fought dollar weed for years. Had the worst crop in the neighborhood. I used Atrazine. The dollarweed was happy with that. After a little set back it started growing like crazy. In the early spring I used Image. Knocked it out pretty well but really set the lawn back.
This year I spent $30 and had a professional spray it. He used a product he called Blade. Had it sprayed in late October. Absolute total dollar weed kill. I also had him add granule fertilizer (no extra cost). It set the lawn back a little, but the results were the best. I canceled after one treatment because I did not want more chemicals that might injure the lawn.

I might call him again in the spring to put pre-emergent down since dollar weed spreads by seeds as well as roots.
Bob

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 6:19PM
sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)

Bugbite, I am trying to avoid using all those harsh chemicals in my yard.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 6:51AM
floridays(9B)

Dollarweed is usually a symptom of too much water. Are you on a sprinkler system and if so how often do you water your lawn?

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 7:38AM

floridays, yes someone told me that already. I turned off our sprinklers about a month ago. I thought the cold snap we had would kill it...no such luck. The cold turned the grass brown but the dollar weed is still green...it must be tough stuff.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 3:14PM
floridays(9B)

Ha ha, it is tough stuff! In the mulch beds it's not too bad - you can pull a string of them up if you're careful...
Perhaps as we come into the spring/dry season it will naturally die off, mine usually does. Hey, in the meantime at least it's green!

Good luck!

Scott

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 8:48PM

Scott, I really don't mind it much in my yard, but the darn stuff is in my veggie garden. LOL, yeah at least it's green!

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 9:07AM
redeemed07

Dollarweed is edible! Throw some in your salads. Just make sure the source of water and ground isn't contaminated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™