Oh the things you will see...

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, FJanuary 31, 2013

Dr. Seuss had it right... though I believe he actually wrote "Oh the places you will go". I was sitting out in my yard trying to soak up the sunlight and reading the paper (garden section) and wondering why the cold-front was 6 hours too early. Then a... 'flying ant' landed on the page and I thumped it off. Then two more landed and I brushed them off as well and looked up... I was in the middle of a cloud of these 'flying ants'.

As I watched them, I noted that while they flitted from side to side and up and down, they were definitely just kind of riding along with the wind as it blew eastward. I then backtracked this cloud of winged insects and noticed that they were coming up from under a group of live oaks behind my house. I couldn't get really close to where they were coming from as a 6' fence separates my yard from land that these oaks were on. But watching this area I got a mental image of the rooftops of London in Mary Poppins, dozens of chimneys billowing forth streams of these bugs that then came together into one cloud. After about 30 minutes of this, the bugs were mostly gone, carried away by the winds. There are still a few late stragglers flitting up and away from time to time, but the main 'swarm' is gone.

While I call them 'flying ants' I don't believe that they really are ants. Their heads kind or resemble an ant's head, but the body is more slender. The wings are about twice the length of the body and the entire length of the bugs is no more than 3 or 4 centimeters. Anyone fancy a guess as to what I witnessed today? I'm guessing it was a hatching of some sort, but really I'm a bit clueless and mystified.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shuffles_gw

Sounds like a termite swarm.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:33PM
abnorm(Orlando)

Termites swarming !

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:33PM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F

Oh... awesome. Well, at least they blew past my house and continued eastward.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 3:12PM
abnorm(Orlando)

The same answer.....the exact same minute.....wooooo! doug

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:36PM
thetradition(9b)

Carpenter ants will swarm like that, too. It actually happened in my house! They were coming out from the dining room light fixture on the ceiling while we were trying to eat dinner! Talk about a freak out. Called the exterminator the next day and saved some of the bugs. Thankfully, they were ants and not termites.

I've seen fire ants launch like that outside as well.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Question about moles
Well, I'm having another Florida wildlife experience. It...
lynne_melb
Planting Poinsetta plant in ground - Ft. Lauderdale
I have a Poinsetta I purchased in December that still...
Shelly K.
African Queen
I started 5 seeds over a week ago and so far have 1...
garf_gw
What happened to Old Garden Web?
WoW! I took a little time off, and come back totally...
cenflagirl
Central Florida garden sites?
Hey all, I'm posting the lessons I learn on my central...
Dunning
Sponsored Products
Coral Coast Hubbard Ottoman - WSOC06O
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Kichler Braelyn 9 1/2" High Olde Bronze Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Premium Select Golden Espresso 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Chocolate Solid Wood Bla
$546.00 | Bellacor
SteamSpa 9 KW Steam Bath Generator
Overstock.com
Braided Area Rug: Jefferson Evergreen 10' x 13'
Home Depot
Verona Arc Desk
| Italy Design
1006 Navy Side Chair
Design Within Reach
Poppy Field Rug 6' x 9' - BLACK/WHITE
$1,495.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™