Daikon Question

kddefordJanuary 28, 2012

I have been growing Daikon for the past two years. I always manage between 2 and 3 feet long plants (even the ones i put in containers). So growing isn't the problem.

The problem is storing. If my wife buys a daikon from the store it lasts for weeks in the vegetable drawer of the fridge. But if we pull one from the garden it has to be 'ate' withing a few days. Otherwise it gets limp and mushy. This is a real problem with these radishes, becuase at 3 feet and almost as big around as a kids ball bat we end up throwing half of each one back to compost.

Any ideas? What do the large growers do differently? Maybe withold water before I pull? I am at a loss and couldn't find anything specific online.

Thanks,

Kenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

There's a new forum on here called Harvest. Maybe someone there would know?

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 5:34PM
kddeford

Thanks,
I will give it a shot.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 6:23PM
Ccstpete

Apples have some type of thin edible waterproofing wax sprayed on them, maybe daikon growers do the same. I have no idea where you would find such wax, but since oil and water don't mix maybe you could dip them in like olive oil to get some extra storage time. I haven't tried it, just a guess. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 9:15PM
derbyka

I just read one source that said they should be kept in "cold moist" storage. I wonder if you wrapped them in some very damp paper towels inside a bag the way you would with fresh herbs?

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 9:42PM
johnjsr(9A DeLand)

I bought one recently from my local Asian store to add to some kimchi. It was sealed in several layers of saran wrap. I didn't get around to using it for more than a week, but it was fresh and firm still, moist but not wet. They do most of their veggies that way.

john

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 12:16AM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

You can soak the daikon in water every few days to give them additional moisture. Best to store them upright, if possible. If you cut the greens off, make sure to leave about 1cm of green on top of the root. Use the daikon from the bottom up, rather than top down.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 3:36AM
kddeford

Thanks,
I will give each of these a try.

Kenny

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 7:48AM
ibarbidahl(9 (tampa-ish))

I store mine for 1-2 weeks easily.

I keep them wtih 2cm of greens at the top, rinsed and wrapped in saran - then into a ziploc when short enough. LOL.

Barbie

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
For the past 3 years my sapodilla tree has had an ever...
billbrandi
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™