A real deal?

sumala(9 fl)January 29, 2012

Walmart has 3 lb bags of seed potatoes for $5.38. At first I was not going to buy any but finally decided I would really miss that "fresh" taste so I picked up a bag. From idle curiosity, I glanced around the corner at the next isle and lo and behold, I spotted more seed potatoes.

This is the good part. They were from the same supplier but they were only 2 lb bags and the price was $2.98. If you buy the 3 lb bag, you pay $2.40 for that extra pound.

Kinda outta whack but I bet a lotta people don't glance around that corner and if they do, they just don't do the math.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Richard (chuggerguy)

Even with groceries etc. sometimes the smaller packages are less per ounce/unit. I think they count on people just blindly assuming larger packages are always more economical. I ALWAYS(well make that usually) check the UPC.

Even before the UPC, I "tried" to always do the math. You're right though, most people won't.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 2:38PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Do you grow your potatoes in a barrel or straight in the ground? I saw some seed potatoes at our local walmart as well and they were actually nice and fresh looking. I am tempted to try some but not sure how to go about planting them (in ground vs. in a barrel). If you plant them in a barrel, would it have to be wood or would the plastic ones get too hot?
~Lenette

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 11:32AM
sumala(9 fl)

Sultry, I grow mine in the ground. I have tried the barrel or stacked tire method but have never been able to make it work. Last time I read about it I read a post that said you had to use late season long growing potatoes. Maybe that was part of my problem.

chuggerguy, I was kinda irritated by their shelf arrangement. Do I have to check all four corners of their store to make sure I get the best price they have available? And why was there such a huge difference?

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™