My weekend purchases

ireena_7October 1, 2012

Last weekend I visited several local nurseries. In the autumn there appeared a number of news (for me:)). Of course, I bought some of them. Some have remained in my plans:))

Here is a list - foto 1 - from left side -

Picea omorika 'Aurea'

Picea omorika 'Expansa'

Picea obovata 'Krylov'

Pinus parviflora 'Ryu-ju'

Abies conocolor

Pinus taiwanensis

Pinus cembra 'Tatra'

Pinus ponderosa var.scopulorum

Picea engelmanii

Pinus densiflora 'Umbraculifera'='Tanyosho'

And Picea abies 'Pendula Major'

Some plants were particularly interesting. I found among other ponderosa plants one - total hanging. When I showed it to the owner, it was quite surprised. He has not been seen before like that! Said that almost a pity to give it to me:))) I promised to send him the photo as it grows...

And I like a lot Picea obovata 'Krylov'. Very nice long and soft grey needles. Very gracefull tree...

Ireena

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sprucebud

Very nice plants. They look very promising.
Richard

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:19AM
zsolti_hungary

nice addition! That ponderosa makes me curious... opinion guys?

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 12:10PM
fotisr

Nice shopping Ireena! I especially like the Picea engelmannii and Picea obovata 'Krylov'!

Do they ship internationally? :)

Best regards,
Fotis

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 1:46PM
coniferjoy(z7 The Netherlands)

Very nice addations to your collection, Ireena!

I was wondering from which nursery you bought the Picea omorika 'Aurea', because it looks so familiar to me :0)

Is the weeping Pinus ponderosa grafted or is it a seedling?

Ireena, please could you also bring me one Picea obovata 'Krylov' when you'll visit my nursery next year?
Thank you very much in advance!

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 1:51PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

Beautiful specimens. Hope you'll let us see updated photos when you get them planted out.
Cher

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 2:28PM
ireena_7

Fotis, I think, that Picea engelmanii are in trade everywhere in Europa. But about Picea obovata, I think this species are rarely found in Europa, because it is Russia native (Siberian) plant. We are, however, closer to Siberia:)) Picea obovata likes more continental climates, in our marine climates it does not feel particularly well, but still growing. We have available to another obovata - 'Seminskaja'-

In the Baltic countries it is available. I think that in the Poland and the Czech Republic as well.

Edvin, I see that I will have to buy bus for my next summer trip:)) I'll Try to buy another one Fassei and one Krylov for you...

About Picea omorika 'Aurea' - I bought it in Baltezers nursery, but I think that it is not their product. They tend to sell well as other growers plants. But it has grafted in Latvia.

About ponderosa - I found it in Zalenieki (LAT) nursery. All plants was grafted from one motherplant... I saw this mother-ponderosa. Normal habit tree.... I don't know about rootstock. Forgot to ask... But nursery owner was very suprised... Maybe plant lost it's leader, but I do not see the fracture location. All branches from the top are very drooping and limber.

Ireena

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 4:43PM
jth97381

I have seen pines do that on occasion. If it happened to be in a dry part of the canyard (nurser container growing area) while growing early in the season, the branches will wilt down and later harden as so.I thought I found a weeper a few years ago, then after evaluation, it was just water stress from being behind a larger plant and not getting enough water. Just one possibility. A mounding form would be nice.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 8:50AM
ireena_7

I just have to wait and see what will come out. In any event, it's interesting and I'll be satisfied with any outcome. Of course, I can try to help the growth of this form. Maybe...;) If the nature of this plant will not take the upper hand:)))

Ireena

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 9:37AM
clement_2006

Picea obovata "Seminskaja" look like Picea obovata "Glauca"
But your Pinus ponderosa are very special !
Nice, Clement.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 2:13PM
coniferjoy(z7 The Netherlands)

Ireena, many thanks in advance for reserving me a 'Fassei' and a 'Krylov'.
Indeed, you'll need a bus to bring me that nice stuff but when you leave my nursery I guess that you'll need a big truck :0)

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 4:42PM
ireena_7

Thank you, Clement for a good estimate. I hope, my finding (ponderosa) will be interesting (or droll:) on future...

That's right, Edwin. I am of those people who does not know how to stop :) Malik's nursery I left with 30 pots ..... Everything inserting in Skoda Jetti back... Many other women enjoys shopping in hypermarkets. But I have nothing better than a good nursery visit.
Especially now, when I got to 3 ha of land and 4 ha of forest ..... This is my new big project. In my small garden I feel claustrophobia:) ...

Ireena

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 5:35PM
kleckas

>>>Picea obovata "Seminskaja" look like Picea obovata "Glauca"

Clement, in case your statement is true, all P. pungens cultivars after 'Glauca' are fired (dropt to fire)!!!

Really, there is a big difference - I'll try to provide photos, but this may take some time.

For the begining - this one. Are you sure this is 'Glauca'?
http://postimage.org/image/hul8ctpv3/

Unfortunately my 'Krylov' is very small and damaged - cannot tel what is the difference Seminskaja/Krylov at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seminskaja

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 7:54PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Big fan of the Picea obovata 'Krylov'!

Thanks for taking the time to post photos.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 8:07PM
kleckas

Additionally:

Since my 'Semiskaja' is bigger than me, in February/March I may send scions to anybody interested. Also I have some grafted plants. Unfortunately this is valid only for EU....

The same is applied to P. omorika 'Fassei' - the pictures will follow.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 8:13PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

By the way, is that a Great Star Hydrangea? Sure looks to be an older specimen!

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 9:46PM
ireena_7

Whaas, you are right! Pfoto 1. - from left - Hydrangea paniculata 'Phantom', from right - 'Great Star' (Le Vasterival). Hydrangea flowers are almost the only ones who are still left in my garden. Conifers took over all. 'Great Star' is only 5-6 years old.... First summer in the ground (was growing in the big pot). I think it likes my compost and wet summers we have + my watering. I guess I need to take part in the Hydrangea forum too:)

Ireena

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 3:15AM
ireena_7

Hi, Kleckas!

Finally, a close neighbor also appear here :) I am from Latvia. We also have a similar plant hardiness zones.... Where exactly do you live?

Ireena

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 3:24AM
kleckas

Hello Ireena

Unfortunately your profile prohibits direct Emailing to you :)

My location: Kaunas, Lithuania. 306 km to S from Kalsnava Nursery and Arboretum.

Kleckas

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 4:52PM
ireena_7

Hi, Kleckas

You can e-mail me every time you want:)) Many beautiful plants I bought by Kalsnava nursery. I live 20km from Riga near Baltic sea. Our plant growth conditions are similar, I think. So I would be interesting to share experiences of various plant winter hardiness. Currently I collected information of the Baltic conifers selections. Actually I failed to find anything of Lithuanian conifer varieties.

Ireena

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 5:29PM
kleckas

> (Ireena.7) You can e-mail me every time you want:))

How?

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:36PM
ireena_7

Kleckas, my e-mail - irena@dskalns.com

Ireena

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 2:35AM
More Discussions
Vanderwolf Pine turning yellow on ends
I have done a search on this site and see question...
frazier_1977
Leyland Cypress in containers? What can I do with them?
(Zone 7a - Northern Virginia. Winter temperatures usually...
mayurkirti
Tree Repair with Screws?
Does this actually work, has anyone tried this successfully....
sc77
Yellow variegated Thuja cultivar at local box store!
Great, now EVERYONE is going to own one lol. Saw this...
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis
Weeping Hemlock in NJ
Hi all! I am a regular on the lawn care forum, but...
danielj_2009
Sponsored Products
Bruck | Zon Down Pendant Light
$352.50 | YLighting
Standard Furniture My Room 5 Piece Panel Bedroom Set in White
Beyond Stores
Prichard - Slate Blue fabric sectional with left-arm chaise
Interior Define
Teal Pucker Pillow
$95.40 | Bellacor
Christopher Knight Home Milano Brown Quilted Bonded Leather Bar Stool
Overstock.com