Mango Question

bluesky7January 25, 2012

I'm quite experienced at growing Haden Mangoes. Had at least 1,500 on our 45 feet tall tree last year. The issue is that last year this time my tree was covered with blossoms. This year I cannot seem to find any! Could it be the tree is "resting" this year? I haven't had a chance to put much fertilizer on it so maybe that's part of the problem. Think I did put a little on the lawn around it several months ago.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Sheri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trini1trini

None of my trees have flowered yet and they usually start in mid December. They all seem to be late this year. Don't know why.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 4:09PM
ladywingr(9b/10a)

Ours (south side of Tampa Bay) started flowering heavily in December, very early. Currently have lots of small fruit on the tree.

Last year was two flowerings, early and late, and very few fruit.

Not sure what's up, but sure am thankful we are going to have more fruit this year. Well, at least until I have to start bagging the rotten stuff. :-)

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 6:08PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

My young trees are late this year too...my guess is because we've had a very warm winter so far. Cold temps seems to initiate or push them into blooming faster, Again, its just a guess?

I'm totally okay with them just now starting to bloom, maybe I will get more fruits this summer as long as we don't have another killer freeze. It seems like my blooms always gets nailed by the freeze when they bloom in December. Last winter I had severe damage on my Mango trees and killed almost all my blooms...only one of my trees produced. Hoping for a frost free (for the rest of the winter).

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 7:20PM
bluesky7

Thanks for the input, guys.

Yes, it's probably weather related. Our winter has been very warm so far and maybe the tree needs the colder weather to spark it to produce blossoms. I think my tree may be resting a bit this year, too, 'cause of the heavy amount it produced last year.

Keep me posted on how your trees do, okay?

Thanks,

Sheri :-)

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 10:37AM
katkin_gw

My mango tree is just now starting to get buds. But my peach tree is looking good. :o)

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 11:39AM
saldut

I don't see anything on mine yet...sally

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 5:37PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Took these pics today...now if only we can keep the freeze away for the rest of winter I might get some Mangoes.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 11:24AM
saldut

Thiss morning when I went out back, the mango there is full of blooms ! just overnight ! it is the smaller, newer one and gets more sun... the big older one in front is partly shaded by the Magnolia but it does have some blooms starting on the sunnier-side.....I was sure worried there for awhile....sally

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 4:34PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Great news Sally...I'm sure you were very excited to see them! I bet you'll have lots of mangoes this summer, lucky you!

Nancy

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 9:08PM
bluesky7

Whoo Hoo! After I wrote that about not seeing mango blossoms, lo and behold, some little blossoms are starting at the ends of the branches, a lot like Sally's. Guess the trees are just "late bloomers" this year.

Happy Gardening.

Sheri :-)

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 10:38PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

I was thinking about this...didn't you guys get some rain last week? I had some too, although not much...I'm guessing the rain helped bring out the blooms? Couldn't hurt...Either way great news!!

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 8:10AM
bluesky7

We've had little or no rain here in S. Florida for weeks. Maybe our lawn sprinklers helped. We have well-water sprinklers.

Praying we get a good, soaking rain real soon!

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
wisconsitom
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Central Florida garden sites?
Hey all, I'm posting the lessons I learn on my central...
Dunning
Another coffee question
My friend gave me a box full of expired Duncan Donuts...
Debo214
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™