lily seed

bdgardener(3 AB)June 18, 2009

Hi everyone, I was given some lily seeds (tiger and trumpet) but I have no idea when or how to start them. Any info would be appreciated. thanks Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squirelette

Hi,
In my experience they are best planted in the spring, but they can be planted in the fall, cover them lightly with soil. If they are bulblets you can plant them now and they should sprout a single leaf and begin to bloom the next year. If they are seeds the will send up a single leaf the next spring and begin to bloom the 3rd year, although I have had seed bloom the 2nd year. The seed requires about 2 months of chilling to sprout so it is easiest to plant them and wait. With the tiger lilies I know that once the bulb gets going it will spread fairly quickly giving you a good sized clump in fairly short order, they can double their numbers yearly. They will also produce stalks covered with the bulblets for you to plant out if they are not big enough to bloom. I have no trumpet lilies so I am not sure about them, but I would guess they would be fairly close to the same. I am sure there are lily growers on here who will give lots more info

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 2:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Trumpets are easy Epigeal or "quick-type" seed to start, you can sow those right now, make sure you keep an watchful eye on watering.
Tigers are easy to start by Bulbils.

Here are a couple of websites that may help you.

http://www.lilies.org/growingfromseed.html
http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilyprop2.html

Goodluck

Sharon

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Mushrooms...help needed
Ok, while they are not holding me to it, the local...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™