fig plant not leafing out

sffog(10/SanFran)May 11, 2011

my fig plant still has no leaves. it was a package plant from big box store and i put it in a pot with potting soil, soil is moist not overly wet and in an unheated greenhouse. is there hope that it will leaf out. i scraped the bark and its green , i also cut away the dry tip , i have plastic wrap over the bare branches hoping some moisture will help. anyone with an opinion on what the problem might be. it s been in soil since january.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westcoastgrower

dont worry, if its still green give it some time. one of my fig tree just started to leaf out.
and i live near you, east bay area.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 1:53AM
sam89(Z10SF)

sffog, Fig tree loves Sunlight at least 6 hours of Sunlight per day. All fig trees in my area( I live in s f) leafed out since end of March. Try move your fig tree out of the greenhouse and let it exposed to DIRECT sunlight. It wouldn't hurt. I have one fig in the ground and one in the pot. The Violette deBordeaux in the ground has grown 6 to 7 leaves. The Neveralla in the pot with potting soil also has 6 to 7 leaves now.
The one in the ground receives 6 hours of direct sunlight and the one in the pot receives 10 hours of direct sunlight.
I hope this can help

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 2:16AM
sffog(10/SanFran)

thank you westcoastgrower and sam89, i will keep my fingers crossed.
sam89 i live in the fog belt of mt davidson, does that matter ? i will move it to the sunniest spot,

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 12:44PM
sam89(Z10SF)

sffog, I live in Excelsior and weather is foggy too. I have 3 fig trees now as I recently bought a 5 gallon Desert King with 20 figlets. Two container figs and one in the ground. I'm newbie in fig so I like to experiment that I keep some fig trees in container.
Growing fig tree in container is quite labor intensive. One has to pay attention of the pot not getting too warm and well watered. I saw pictures of folks burying their pot in ground to keep pot from getting hot.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 3:50PM
sffog(10/SanFran)

sam89 thanks for reinforcing that figs will grow in foggy SF
i too am new to growing figs, i have no figlets on my 2 celeste,or the 1 alma. the one with no leaves is a black jack . i have some cuttings from my neighbors black mission, that is an experiment, so far they had leaves then they dried up when i went on vacation so now maybe they will sprout again, they have small roots. i have more cuttings so if you are interested let me know. no history on the plant except it is black mission .

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 6:38PM
sam89(Z10SF)

sffog, A cold weather front will move in and brings heavy rainfall. A young fig tree in container with potting soil might not fare well in this condition. I would suggested that the young fig tree stays in the greenhouse during the storm. I babysit of my fig tree in container after I dug it out of ground. In order to move it around to get maximum sunlight. The drawback is easily OVERWATER. I let it sat one rainny night and later I observed brown stain near underneath a leaf. It was a sign of overwater. Good luck !

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 8:55PM
sam89(Z10SF)

sffog, The 20 figlets are with the fig tree when I bought it in an nursery. Two reasons I bought Desert King are member (Johnathon here in S F mission) recommended and the 20 figlets on the tree. I googled in the web and lot of people recommended Desert King for cool summer climate.
I'm interested in having a black mission cutting if you can spare. My fig trees are so young except Desert King. I might have to repot in spring and might have some cuttings.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 9:27PM
sffog(10/SanFran)

sure you can have black mission cuttings e mail, jn91871@yahoo.com and i will give you my address, i will move the fig trees into the greenhouse,

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
Need to find a fig company
Hi together, i ´m new here and my first question is,...
depequ
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™