How to separate anemone growing in my hosta?

fillagirlJune 2, 2009

Hi there, I"m new to the forum. My sister dug out part of her hosta and gave it to me last fall. I seem to have inherited an anemone (?) plant with the hosta, as both are growing together and are "interwined", looks like it will be a difficult job to separate.

Can I separate these by digging them out and trying to pull them apart? Or should I just leave it as is and see what happens? I'm worried the hosta will be overtaken by the anemone.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

Yikes. Anemones are spreaders, although in time the hosta will probably win out and so the anemone can't do any serious damage to the plant. Still the anemone can spread far and wide and so you should remove it and perhaps plant it elsewhere where you can contain it (like using a plastic edger) Best way is to dig up the entire plant and use a hose to flush out the earth so you can see how the roots are entertwined and untangle them.

Ianna

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 4:48PM
fillagirl

Thanks Ianna, I will try that.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 9:06PM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

Or, you can use a paintbrush and paint your anemone with Roundup, being careful only to touch the anemone leaves. Then there is no digging up of the hosta thereby setting it back.

Brenda

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™