gazing ball

marricgardensJune 4, 2012

We bought one to put in the garden a few months ago. Now we are looking for something sturdy to set it on. We've looked at some of the obelisks but they won't do in this area because of the strong winds we get. Anyone have a neat idea for a stand? Thanks. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

How about a nice heavy bird bath? Your DH is handy isn't he? You could drill drainage holes so you wouldn't get standing water.

Or....

How about two glazed clay pots, with one upside down and the slightly smaller one sitting on top of it?

How heavy is a gazing ball?

You're welcome to tell me if my ideas are lame, as I'm not all that good at creative ideas =:)

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 3:24PM
marricgardens

The flower pots got me to thinking. What if I made one of those flowerpot men, turned the top pot upside down and put the ball in it?

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 3:53PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I would use the pedestal of a bird bath and attach it with two-part epoxy. There are several kinds that have a bit of bulk to them and take longer to dry, but you can set the ball in and it will not come off. (as someone who has a lot of experience making stones stick to each other)

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:34PM
swontgirl_z5a(5a)

Places that sell statuary sell stands for gazing balls.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 9:58PM
marricgardens

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I did look at some statuary sights and kept thining I had seen something similar here. Finally it dawned, it takes a while, when we bought the farm there were some cement tubes here that look like a toilet plunger because they have a wide end. I still don't know what these would have been used for but there were about 12 here. I decided to paint one of then, sink it into the ground and then put the gazing ball into the wide end. Think that would work? I just hope the 'cup' is wide enough to hold the ball in place. Marg

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 9:19AM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Sounds to me like that would work perfectly. Especially if you use the epoxy that northspruce suggested.

Make sure you post pictures =:)

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 10:04AM
diane_v_44(Z6)

I have two gazing balls both are sitting in wine bottles that are half buried in the ground
Have had them for years and has worked fine to suit me.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 5:40AM
CLBlakey

Marric- If that pipe is old water pipe be careful when cutting it. Old cement water pipe was made with asbestos so be sure to wear a mask.

Cindy

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™