Fig tree leaves curling up

ArcherFigMay 6, 2013

Hello,

I've kept this small fig tree (40cm height) indoor, in a relatively small pot for 2 years. I've decided to repot it in a larger pot in order for it to grow (the roots were circling around the circumference of the small pot), and as well to get rid of small insects that were in the soil (probably due to soil humidity).

So I shook off all the soil from the root ball, and replanted it carefully in a bigger pot (about 2 to 3 times the volume of the small one) with new soil and a bit of fertilizer. I watered the new soil abundantly, but not so that water comes out of the pot holes at the bottom.

However, the next day, the few leaves it has (2-3 weeks old leaves... the plant just started waking up from winter) started curling up. It been 2 days now since I re potted and the leaves are still curling up and look limp, but none have fallen so far. The soil on top is still humidí.

From my searches on internet, it seems like both overwatering and underwatering can cause leaves to curl up, so that was not very helpful. Hopefully someone here can give me good hints on what I should do to save my fig tree.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terry_upstate_ny(5)

Does the new pot have drainage holes? I have read that Fig trees do not like to have their roots kept wet. Or, the problem may be transplant shock. Figs are known to be resilient, and even if it loss its leaves due to shock, it can still grow new leaves after awhile.
A new fig tree that purchased last year lost all its leaves a within a week of transplanting to a bigger pot. After about a month or two new life started showing. This year it is doing fine.
Terry

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The pot needs drainage holes. Then you need to water enough so that some water drains out the holes. The addition of fertilizer wasn't a good idea. Wait on that until the tree has started growing in the new pot. So you need extra water to flush out any salts from that fertilizer. Lastly put the tree in a shady location until it recovers.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
Creeping Fig permanent setback
I planted a creeping fig vine a dozen years ago and...
grubby_AZ
Need help for my fig tree cutting
Hi There, I propagated over 10 fig trees indoor from...
pacifica9231
fig question
Has anyone tried to grow fig olympian and did they...
boydanny
fiddle leaf fig dilemma - one healthy, one w/ incredibly droopy leaves
About a month and a half ago I purchased a 3/4 foot...
eja27
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Nevis Passage Beige 6' 3" x 9' 2"
Home Depot
Crystal Symphony Cake Plate with Dome
Classic Hostess
Space-Saving TP Stand
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Spiral Basket Hand-Forged Iron Single Coat Hook
Signature Hardware
Dakota 8771 Flat Rim Wall Sconce
Lightology