grasshopper repellents.

bjs496June 25, 2010

Hi All,

I am searching the internet for solutions to a massive grasshopper invasion. My trees are planted in a 7 acre field so chickens, guineas, shoes, pruning shears, etc. are out. Has anyone used either a hot pepper spray or an ammonia spray effectively without damaging the trees? The other options are a garlic spray (or a mixture of garlic and hot pepper) and Neem Oil.

Some trees have already been stripped bare, so I am looking for a quick solution.

thanks,

~james

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cath41(6a)

I have used a hot pepper WAX (for insects) to successfully repel mammals - deer and rabbits. Have not had experience with grasshoppers but I am replying because the wax lasts even after rains. I would estimate a couple of weeks at least and so would be a better bet than just hot pepper. This hot pepper wax is commercially available.
Cath

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 2:35AM
bjs496

Hi Cath,

Thanks for the reply. Some websites have raised concern about hot pepper solutions burning trees. Currently, our weather is approaching 100F with bright sun. Did you notice any effects/damage to the trees with the wax?

~james

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 11:34AM
ayyubaddeen(9)

I have my Figs right next to my pepper plants (Datil, Habanero, Cheyenne, Chile, Lady Finger, Bell). I have not had a problem with grasshoppers with my figs but I have had them with my Pepper plants. My problem was with Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers here in Jacksonville FL. they get about 3-4 inches long and have eaten my pepper plant leaves, watermelon leaves,eggplant leaves...I also have tomato plants but they have not touch those or the figs for some reason.. here is what the Eastern Lubber Grasshopper looks like (I killed 3 of them so far)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 11:45AM
bjs496

I've seen at least 4 different kinds of grasshoppers in the field (possibly different stages of the same type). My trees are planted in the middle of 7 acres. There are many dozens/hundreds of acres bordering the 7 I'm planing in. Every step through the field sends anywhere between 5 and a cloud of grasshoppers flying through the air. Whether I kill 3 or 3,000, it's not going to do me much good. I can not effectively eliminate them, hence the need for a repellent.

I noticed several posts on the forums indicating the grasshoppers preference for one plant over another (including different varieties of figs). I have found this to be somewhat true. It appears they will eat what they prefer first, then move on the "less desirable" leaves.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 12:41PM
cath41(6a)

I have used the hot pepper wax on Taxus (yew) and have not seen burning but my temperature highs are in the 90s, not 100s.
Cath

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 12:16AM
More Discussions
Need to know what kind of fig tree this is!
I am hoping someone may know the variety of this fig...
Shelly Holmes
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
When to prune fig trees?
Hello to all,my fig tree is bare now and I was wondering...
coconutman
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™