So 2 years ago I had ordered 70 syringa vulgaris(common, "old fashioned", french lilac are some of the common names - it is the really, really fragrant old species, not the syringa villosa known as late lilac that is distributed by PFRA) from Select Seedling nursery in Saskatoon. I picked them up, paid for them(about $350) and planted them and was happy. I couldn't afford to have all of our lilacs be this fragrant variety, but I was pleased that the row closest to the house would fill the yard with fragrance.
Now this spring, I am realizing that there was a screw up, and the plants I got were actually syringa villosa. I can tell because the leaf shape/look is quite different between the two, and the flowers on my new little lilacs are identical to the mature villosa lilacs that we already have.
I'm so frustrated! I sent an email to the nursery explaining what happened - I sure hope they offer to reimburse me. But I'm frustrated either way, because I can't do anything about it now, and I STILL don't have any of the lilacs that I wanted!
Grrrr...I should have just gone and dug up a bunch of suckerss from my Mom's place, over a period of a few years..I would have been better off. I'll update you as to whether I hear back from the nursery. It'll be interesting to see their reaction. They better not tell me I'm wrong!