swapping cistena for ninebark, Centreglow

north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)June 19, 2010

Well I hope I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. My poor cistena took such a hit this past winter, I've decided to dig it out. It was beautiful and quite large, but has barely leafed out so far. There's a bit of growth near the base.

Anyway and went out and bought a Centreglow Ninebark. I haven't had much success with the lime coloured ninebark (I can't remember which variety it was), but I thought I'd read somewhere that the newer varieties were more hardy.

Please reassure me if you can, lol. I'm feeling badly about ripping out the cistena, but it's in quite a focal point in my garden and something needs to be done. I'll feel quite foolish if I end up doing the same thing next year, though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbiecz3(z3MB)

I grow diablo here in 2b and it does fine; I've seen it listed as zone 2. I would think that centreglow has a similar rating being a cross between diablo and darts gold I believe. I've looked at centreglow myself and am considering it. There is another ninebark cultivar that sounds very attractive but for the life of me I can't remember its name. Anyway, I think you should be fine with your purchase. A lot of my ornamental trees are looking worse for wear this year; it was a difficult fall and winter!

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 7:19PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I have Coppertina and Centreglow. The Coppertina has come through three winters quite well, though there was a lot of tip kill this year. This was the Centreglow's first winter and it came through quite well considering the tough winter we had. It's a good choice, Marie!

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 7:57PM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

Oh, Thank you for those encouraging words.
Now to get my DH to cooperate. I will need his help to get that shrub out of there. There's no way I can attempt it myself.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 8:29PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I'm hoping to get mine out this summer too, and i think it's going to be a big job. It's not very big, but i imagine the roots are way out there!

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 9:12PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

You're wise to get your DH to help remove that shrub. Don't try to do it when he's not home.

This morning I was planting my new Blue Fox Willow near where a tree had been removed and it's stump ground.

I, of course, came upon some roots as I was digging my hole. Holy Cow! At first I thought the previous owner had buried a piece of 2x4 or something. One of the roots was so big I thought I was going to break the shovel handle trying to pry it out! Two other ones needed to be cut and pulled out.

When will I ever learn......

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 10:32PM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

I'm starting to realize my limitations.......

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™