Colorful fence

ravensfan52(6)June 6, 2014

This section of fence gets good sun for most of the afternoon. I planted the majority of plants about 3 yrs ago, so they are mingling nicely by now. We have a purple clematis, 2 different honeysuckles, and John Cabot rose with sweet autumn clematis rounding out the far end of the fence. It smells pretty darn good over here right now! This view is from the backyard side.

The front of this fence is what I would call a hell strip- bordered by hot pavement driveway and the dirt below is very gravelly from construction of the driveway. Will take a pic from the front tomorrow. I have taken inspiration for the hell strip from High Country Gardens catalog and combined blue catmint, yellow coreopsis, and pink centranthus while filling in win seedling phlox, Purple Rooster bee balm, and coneflower, with some returning summer bulbs thrown in there too. Oh, and there's some potted tomatoes and snap peas in there too, because with a cottage garden, there is no wrong answer!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

So very pretty! What is the plant in front (no flowers)? I have one that appears similar to that (no flowers), and am at a loss as to what it is.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 9:58PM
ravensfan52(6)

The tall plant in front is bee balm. The Purple Roster variety is so pretty and attracts hummingbirds and butterflies, which is why I grow it. I had extra from the front of the fence last yr and moved a piece to back here, and it has spread and will bloom soon. It will need to move towards the back of this bed since it is about 26 in tall. A great pass along plant!

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:19PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Beautiful! Such a lush planting with all the vines and rose getting along so nicely! Well done!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 7:38AM
ogrose_tx

Thanks, ravensfan, I hope it is indeed Bee Balm, am eagerly watching to see if it blooms, although from what I read here in Texas it should be blooming by now.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 10:34PM
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

What a beautiful area you created !! I love how lush everything looks. The clematis looks so full for being 3 years old!

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Well, good Saturday morning, Cottagers. It is a brilliantly...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is supposed to warm up into the...
cyn427
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™