My bamboo survived!

davidcalgary29(2b)June 9, 2012

I decided to overwinter a clump of fargesia rufa last fall by mulching it with straw and by ensuring that it remained covered with snow all winter (it's by my front walk). When I uncovered it in April, the bottom half still had green leaves, but these withered away and browned after a series of fairly hard freezes in the middle of the month. I then cut the stems to the ground as it appeared they'd all died off...and then waited. I thought the roots had survived, and today was rewarded by the sight of new leaves! Last winter was fairly mild (although temps did drop regularly to -30 to -32 in January), so it'll be interesting to see if I can get this to survive another winter.

Lessons learned:

-I uncovered the bamboo MUCH too early in the season. Had I waited another two to three weeks, I probably could have saved some of last year's growth.

-f. rusa apparently likes to be covered with snow for the entire winter.

-don't panic! No new growth until early June, which places this species last in my yard to spring up/leaf out along with my ginkgo, black locust, and Jerusalem Artichoke.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Slimy_Okra(2b)

Bamboo in Calgary! That's a new achievement!

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:15PM
davidcalgary29(2b)

I live in Peace River, AB -- not Calgary (having moved away six years ago)...so perhaps that's even more of an achievement!

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 12:15AM
don555(3a)

Congratulations, that's very impressive! It will be interesting to see how tall it gets by the end of the season.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:42AM
ostrich(3a AB)

WOW! Congrats!

I wonder if it can be as aggressive in our cold climate here as it is in warmer climates?

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™