planted -- waiting for frost

ljpother(3a)June 4, 2009

The bad news is I haven't been called into work yet this week. Maybe tomorrow, sigh.

The good news is I've been digging and planting since late last week and I'm pretty well done. Potatoes, tomatoes, beans, and odds and ends. I just have a few flowers, ws tomatoes that are still sprouting, and some purple prince suckers I'm rooting.

And the bad news is possible frost on the weekend. Around here if I wait for the last possible frost date, summer is over. If I recall, July is the only month it hasn't snowed in Alberta.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Apparently it has snowed in July as well! Must have been before my time or I don't remember.

Ginny

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 9:13PM
shazam_z3

It has definitely snowed in July in Alberta. The most recent was in the late 90s. I was at the Calgary Stampede and it was snowing. There was, however, no frost that time.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 9:52PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I can remember snow in every month except August and frost in every month except July. I hold a grudge about these things...

We have a crappy frost warning tonight too. Not even sure what to cover, I guess I'd better cover my roses.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 9:12PM
shazam_z3

Snowing right now. Covered stuff up, brought other stuff in. Broke a tomato plant :(

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 9:26PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Friends in Calgary are coming up for the dog show tomorrow and they are asking if it is going to be warm here. I didn't have the heart to tell them. Two years ago, the same dog show, it was 34c. They had little kiddy pools all over to keep the dogs cool! This year they will need space heaters! Last year it poured for 4 days. We could use a bit of that this year. I'm glad for the fact that I was too busy to get the rest of my tomatoes and cucumbers in this week. Strange weather for sure.

Ginny

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™