'Carol Mackie' Daphne

marricgardensJune 6, 2009

I made a small (well, it started out small) shade garden in some pines. I thought the whole area received dappled sun and it would be a good spot for my hostas. I sat out there today and watched to see where the sun spots were. To my surprise I had a large spot on the north side, in front of my garden shed. We built the garden shed there to cut the winter winds. Does anybody know if a dapne will survive with 3-4 hours bright light and the rest of the time it will get bright shade? I thought the daphnes needed lots of direct sunlight but I may be wrong. If that one won't work in my shade garden, any suggestions for a smallish,2-3', shrub with variegated foliage? Flowers aren't a must have but they would be nice. Thanks. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazam_z3

You may want to repost this in the Canadian Gardening forum. Most of us zone 1,2,3s don't grow daphne, if at all.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 6:10PM
celtic_07(3b)

Marric I've had "Carol Mackie" for about 3 yrs as well as 2 "February" daphnes .One Feb is in part sun and the other two are in deeper shade . They all bloomed but a bit later this year_ weather? who knows. One of the Feb is about 6 yrs old and I have moved it 3 times as I myself have moved and I couldn't leave it behind. I protect it in winter with mulch and Have a bit of winterkill sometimes-- Always grown them in part shade - go figure?
Lois

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 2:55AM
marricgardens

Thanks Lois. There is more sunlight in my shade garden than I thought there would be so I was thinking of getting a Daphne. Most of the rest of the garden is in shade, anywhere from dappled shade to bright shade. It is now filling up with my hostas and was looking for other plants to set them off. I liked Carol Mackie because of the variegated foliage. I've also read that Carol Mackie is known to 'die out' for no reason and I was concerned about that. It sounds like you have had good luck with yours though. Maybe now I will give it a try. Thanks. Marg

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 8:19AM
celtic_07(3b)

Marric My Carol Mackie is still blooming outside my front door(north side ) and the scent is fabulous. I hope your's will be close enough so you can enjoy the sweet perfume.
The foliage is great and a nice contrast. Lois

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™