Lewisia

debbiecz3(z3MB)June 25, 2007

I just picked up this little plant on a whim; I know it needs excellent drainage to survive so hopefully I can find a spot for it where it won't rot. Will it tolerate a spot that is shaded for part of the day do you think?

Anyone who grows this plant and who has success with it? Debbie.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I grew a couple for several years in a spot that was partly shaded, and they did okay, not spectacular. After about four years they just didn't come back. They might have been choked out by some sedums that grew a little rampant in that area. I can't offer any advice, though - i plunked them in there and they grew for a few years without much care from me. Maybe they would have lasted longer had i paid more attention to them, poor things. :)

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 11:41PM
marricgardens

I bought my first one this spring. I was told it liked good drainage and full sun. It was in bud when I bought it so I knew I would soon have the gorgeous flowers. We have heavy clay soil so some of the flowers are in raised beds and that is where I planted the lewisia. It is in full sun and seems to love it. Right now it is on the second flush of flowers. I don't know how fast it spreads so I may buy another one to keep it company. Marg

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 10:03AM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Mine didn't spread at all. Maybe if i get another one, i'll put it in more sun.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 12:45PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Definitely full sun.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 3:13PM
shazam_z3

This is one of my new favourite plants. I bought two last year, they went through winter just fine. They're at least twice as big this year. The blooms are outstanding, it's one of the first plants to bloom, they last for weeks, and they smell like oranges! Got two more this year.

I'll tell you though, the first year, they seem to do nothing unless you bought them with blooms on.

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™