early blooming perennial

ljpother(3a)June 13, 2013

I have a gift certificate for a local greenhouse. I'm thinking of getting early flowering perennials (May/June) to plant along my fence line. Right now I have a lot of mid to late summer bloomers. I'd like suggestions, preferably not purple of light blue.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

Iris?

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:23PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Daisies, daisies, daisies! Or you can come over here and dig out some of these dumortieri daylilies. They are yellow and are repeat bloomers. :)

But May bloomers in Edmonton?? Daffs, tulips, and crocus? :) Maybe a couple of early peonies?

Ginny

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:29PM
weeper_11(2b SK)

Bergenia and dwarf bearded iris are some of the earliest in my garden..they bloom around the same time as the tulips.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:30PM

Don, my many irises are just starting to bloom now and we are already in the middle of June! Last year they bloomed right into July and the heat was just too much for them. :(

Ginny

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:30PM

I forgot about the dwarfs, Katie. Mine are pretty much done now but many of them are fast multiplying and tough little plants. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:42PM
Pudge 2b

Leopard's Bane, they'd be pretty along a fenceline

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:52PM
beegood_gw

Primulas. Auriculas are extremely hardy and bloom early

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:15PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Primula cortusoides and dame's rocket are early and look nice. They'd be a waste to buy at a nursery though because they're so easy to grow from seed.

I'd go with a nice early peony if it was me.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 11:17PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Peony 'Mollis' is really early for me. My dame's rocket has just started, and the bergenia and pulmonaria are almost done. Other than that, tulips and daffodils. Oh - trollius blooms early too, but likes the shade.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 11:32PM
squirelette

Spring Anemone -pretty, spreads like crazy, runners and self seed, fuzzy cottonball seed pods. Blooms with the crocus and daffs. About a foot tall plant

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 12:08AM
marricgardens

What about peonies? They are virtually carefree and would look good along the fenceline. If the spot is wide enough a flowering perennial would look good in front of them. Peonies in spring and an early summer flowering perennial would look nice. I have East Freisland Salvia and Catmint May Night flowering right now and the spikey flowers would look nice with the peonies. Marg

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:25AM
donna_in_sask

My fern leaf peony, shooting star and one iris have just finishing up blooming. The Jacob's Ladder and gas plant are in full bloom.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:10AM
CLBlakey

Blooming already??? wow am I behind here my jacobs ladder is just sending up its bloom towers and my peony is only out of the ground by 6 inches. If it were not for my massive petunia planting I would have no flowers. I planted over 100 tulips 4 years ago and now only have 2 left which did not flower this year. However on the up side my lilac in the back is flowering but I have not been out side to look at it since my surgery. They will be done flowering by the time I get out there.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 12:45PM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

CLB don't feel bad my Jacobs ladder is in the same state. I have no notable flowers on my perrenials yet.

I am watching this with interest as I want to plant a fence line, wire, but I need deer resistant plants that are pretty much carefree.

SCG

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 1:27PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

SCG - rudbeckia. :)

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 1:57PM
shazam_z3

Bleeding heart.

Moss phlox.

Periwinkle (can be invasive).

Candytuft.

My Jacob's ladders are just starting to get spires. Same with the lupines.

This post was edited by shazam_z3 on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 14:32

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 1:57PM

marciaz3 thanks, I have put three species of rudbekia in as well as poppies and marigold.......i just can't get enough LOL....

SCG

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:14PM
shazam_z3

Lamium.

Pruning group A clematis.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 4:32PM

Yeah shaman my lemon frost lamium has been blooming for a long time. It's also evergreen so adds interest in the winter. Love it!

SCG

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:44AM
ostrich(3a AB)

Here in my zone 3 garden, my golden bleeding heart has been blooming for weeks now! Simply stunning!

Then my Walker's Low catmint is also happily blooming too, but it is by the foundation in a south facing location. That said, it is blue and you don't want that...

Another early and reliable bloomer in my yard is dear dandelion.... such reliable and floriferous bloomers.... LOL

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:56AM
beegood_gw

My for-get-me -nots have been blooming like crazy for about 2 weeks now. Hazledean rose is starting to open the buds The columbine has been blooming for quite a while as well.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 10:00AM
shazam_z3

There's actually a white flowered catmint available.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 1:10PM
ljpother(3a)

Thanks for the replies.

I need to widen the bed. I have climbing roses, hollyhocks, delphiniums, and day lilies that bloom from mid summer to fall. I have one clump of yellow day lilies blooming now.

My gardens are going to be re-constructed when I get back in mid July. I've signed up for Partners in Parks to plant along the fence that borders the park. It's hard to get plants started there when they city goes through with herbicide and weed eaters -- in spite of filling in the forms to maintain a buffer.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:55PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

I would second the dwarf irises as right now they provide the majority of the colour happening in my garden. Also anenomes, pulmonaria, peony 'Smoothie' or other early peonies would look great along a fence.

That must be frustrating with the City and herbicides for you. Here, in Brandon, the City stopped using herbicides about 5 or maybe more years ago and now the parks are a lovely, bright shade of solid yellow, of course followed by light and fluffy white puff balls after.:(

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:42PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Another one that I don't think has been mentioned is Icelandic poppies. I planted them from seed and nothing sprouted for two years. Then I had maybe two and they were both orange. Every year since then I've had progressively more and in many different colours. I can only surmise that their seeds have been lying dormant and germinating after all this time! I really like them, they have sort of citrus punch colours.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
What type of apples do northern hardy rootstocks produce?
Has anyone left various known rootstocks grow to see...
sandbur2
Trying new tree varieties and update on rare trees
Hey everyone, What are some of the trees you've all...
www.eclipselandscaping.ca
Northland Crab apple
This is an older Mn. variety that is supposed to be...
sandbur2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™