found fig

catlady4444(7)June 9, 2011

Hello,

I moved into a rental house in April and would love some help with a fig tree.

The house is 150 years old, and all the plantings are horribly neglected (vine covered, weedy, overcrowded.) I didn't realize there was a fig until May, when it was covered in breba. I immediately fertilized, watered, and weeded around it. The figs have grown to what I assume is full size---none ripe, though. But now it's making more breba. Is this OK? Is is bad?

I have already potted up some little baby plants around it to take with me when I leave, but I'd like to make this year as productive as possible. This is partly for the owner of the house, but mostly for me, to ease the pain of having to leave my own garden where my figs are being horribly neglected! : (

Any help would be appreciated!

Ann

Loudoun County, VA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herman2_gw

It is OK:It looks like your tree has good breba crop,and frost was light last winter.
Good for you

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 10:15PM
igo4fish(8b)

Ann, it sounds like your tree is bifara, meanining it produces a breba and main crop. Very common. Just keep it weeded and water as needed. Good luck and enjoy!

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 9:33AM
catlady4444(7)

I have never had this before---is it normal for it to start producing the main crop before breba are ripe? And isn't it very early for the main crop to start?
I was worried I somehow triggered more breba!)

Thank you!

Ann

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 9:15PM
igo4fish(8b)

Ann,

The breba crop forms on previous year's wood (hard) and main crop forms on current year's growth (new/green). The can grow simultaneously. Not all figs do this and some only ripen the breba. Your tree will be fine. Fertilizing in-ground figs is usually not necessary unless the soil is very sandy and it IS possible to over-fertilize (with Nitrogen) but the result is that you get lush growth but few/no fruit. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 8:10AM
catlady4444(7)

Awesome--thank you!!!

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
Any good places to buy fig cuttings?
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could recommend...
bonechickchris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™