Houston, we have ripeness

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)June 19, 2012

well, almost. The first few have turned brown/purple. I'd need a ladder to get those, if I do. I saw several birds and a couple squirrels checking on them, too. That's fine, when they really come on, there's buckets of them every day, no ladder needed since there's more then enough that are reachable.

We love them, an especially tasty free food (and nice looking trees!) One can only eat so many... and so much jam, pork chops simmered with figs, ice cream with figs, fig shakes, figgy meatloaf, fruit salad, fig & cheese tarts... Can't give all of the rest away. Thanks to previous occupants at my house and at other family members' houses, neighbors, they're everywhere.

Are you ready? Do you have too many or not enough? What other ways do you use them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Well the tree at the empty house next door is maturing slightly faster, from being in more sun I guess. Was going to pick a few today but the guy from the lawnmower shop across the street (who mows my front for free) beat me to it. Glad I saw him so I know someone wants those. That's 1 less tree to feel like I should pick & do something with. Free food rocks!

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 5:05PM

Doesn't anybody else EAT the figs?

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 7:43AM
terry_upstate_ny(5)

All those fig recipes probably have all of us northern fig growers a bit envious. I am in NY and just getting figlets on my potted figs...but no need to start a civil war over this :) wewould luv some fresh figs shipped up here!
Terry

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:29AM

Hmmm, war is a far cry from recipe ideas, no doubt. Seems like a lot of trouble if it's not yielding enough figs for anybody to have any input about eating them. Wish they would ship - I have plenty of people back in OH who would like some. Sorry.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 8:58AM
eukofios

I eat mine and take a few bowls to share at work. I have a food dehydrator and dry figs, store the dried figs in the fridge and eat them in the winter. Drying concentrates the sugars and makes them chewy. For me figs are too special to dilute in recipes, but that's just me. My crops are never to huge at one moment - I keep the trees small and have multiple varieties to spread out the crop.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Creeping Fig permanent setback
I planted a creeping fig vine a dozen years ago and...
grubby_AZ
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
Anyone growing Ischia fig trees?
Just bought a Ischia fig tree at Lowe's. Suppose to...
sueanne777
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Buoy Pendant
Serena & Lily
SunStopper Sun Haven 14 x 11.5-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-14X11.5-MA
Hayneedle
Calhoun Leather Single Arm Sofa - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Houston Executive Office Chair
FRONTGATE
Brindle Hairhide Rug 6' x 7'5" - OPEN BROWN
$729.00 | Horchow
Crystal Bakehouse Two-Light Wall Sconce in Bronze Finish with Handcrafted, Polis
Bellacor
Core 4 Light LED Rail Kit by AFX Lighting
$259.99 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Sarah Black 2 ft.
$70.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™