Pokeweed

organic_bassetlvr(6/7)June 19, 2013

Does anyone else think pokeweed could be a great garden plant if only marketed properly? "Easy to grow perennial, small white blooms on magenta stems, followed by lovely black/maroon berries, beloved by birds." Just a thought.
Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frontiercc(MD Zone 6)

If so, I'll be RICH!! I've got it everywhere!!!! Got tired of fighting with one that was growing under my lilac so I got out the shovel last week and dug up the tuber. The thing was as big as my fist.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:12AM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Me, too, frontiercc! Mine grows on our hill-very hard to get a good footing to dig out. Ugh.

Yes, it is all in the marketing, isn't it?

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 12:26PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Doesn't it also depend on where you live? I've noticed that it seems to be a real pest in some regions and not so much in others.

I'm currently growing a variegated/speckled form called 'Silberstein' (aka 'Steve Silberstein' or 'Variegata') under my grow light. I plan on cutting the berries off before they seed around any. Never heard of it being a bad invader over here...hope not at least, lol!
CMK

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:25PM
frontiercc(MD Zone 6)

Could be Christinmk. I live in the Mid-Atlantic and it is a pervasive problem around here.

I blame it on the birds. (Along with mile-a minute vine!) I have LOTS of birds around. They like the seeds and spread them readily.

That, and I am surrounded by fields. The price I pay to live in the country I suppose.

Before the white man came from Europe, the Native Americans around here used the plentiful pokeweed berries to make dyes. So everytime I yank one, I connect with history :)

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 8:47AM
organic_bassetlvr(6/7)

Well, I didn't know it was already marketed Christinmk! Another one of my money making schemes down the drain, LOL. Yes it can be a pest due to birds & also the seeds can lay dormant for years until the soil is disturbed & then sprout. I get tickled when visiting the Name That Plant forum and every year there are numerous posts about a giant plant with black berries. Always turns out to be poke.
Susan

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 11:39AM
NewGirlinNorCal(9b)

I agree! The leaves are a great color and they could be very good for screening at the back of a bed if it's an area that doesn't get looked at during the winter.

I have one in my yard right now; it's about 10' tall. The flowers were blush pink which I guess is kind of special but I thought it was a sunflower- that's why I let the dumb thing grow! I'm taking it out this weekend.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 12:28AM
ginnier

It is a beautiful plant/seed head! But we farmers in Illinois growl at a pokeweed growing in our fields. When you go thru with a combine to get soybeans or corn, it almost looks like you tossed a 1/2 quart of dark purple paint at the head of the combine. Stain!!!!
We did see someone in a small town near us plant a short row of pokeweed near a stop sign last year. So pretty....this year it's petunias...

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 8:25AM
organic_bassetlvr(6/7)

Oh that doesn't sound good...unless you could market it as "ornamental" naturally dyed corn. I dunno about the soybeans. I keep it (poke) out of certain areas & let others grow for the birds.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 6:05PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Market for food. I have a friend that comes to my yard before I cut them down in the Spring. I do not have problems killing it for the season but it is back the following Spring.

I cut and pour some vinegar and salt inside the hollow stem followed by some rubbing alcohol.and it is a goner. But there are little plants somewhere else that appear somewhere on the property every Spring.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™