Proper care for sour cherry trees and bushes.

northernmn(3/4)June 24, 2013

My Northstar is in it second year of fruiting. The Evans and 6 Carmine Jewels are still a year away from fruiting.

All have beautiful leaves and are disease free. Last year, about 1/2 of them had aphids but they were easy to eliminate. The tiny amount of cherries on the Northstar seemed to have a bug entry indented spot on them.

This year, I'd like to eat some of the cherries. They are currently about the size of a large pea. What kinds of bugs like sour cherries in our zones and how are they stopped?
Do I need to worry about diseases? I did spray Immunox Plus just 1 time at the end of the bloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weeper_11(2b SK)

I have a question to add to this - if we do need to spray for bugs or disease, where can you buy the sprays?

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 10:11PM
don555(3a)

I've never sprayed cherry trees or bushes here in Alberta, and no bug has ever attacked the fruit. It might be different in MN if people grow a lot of sour cherries there and some insect has moved in to take advantage of that? Maybe check with your dept. of Agriculture.

In my experience, the main pest for cherries is birds. Get yourself some bird netting if you are in an area with good cover for birds, and use it when the cherries start to turn colour.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:23AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

You might want to post this on the fruit & orchard forum.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:52AM
northernmn(3/4)

Thank you Don and Konrad.

To my knowledge, nobody else is growing sour cherries within a couple of miles of my trees. There may be some wild, cherry or cherry (choke cherry) related plants in the area though. Maybe I'll be OK on bugs. I do plan on having a bird netting system. One is in place for my blueberries. I hope the bears leave me alone. If not, electric fence is the only answer that I know of.

The reason that I posted here rather than the fruit forum was to get specific "cold zone" information. I really enjoy, and browse the fruit forum often. It is a great source of info, but most of the posters, although very adept, are in warmer zones. I feel they may be dealing with different insects than we are. If I can get responses from knowledgeable growers like you guys, that are in similar climates, it may be more meaningful for me.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:41AM
shillanorth Z4 AB

I have young Cupid sour cherries and the only trouble I have are the grackles jumping up from the ground to grab the cherries!! I have not seen any signs of insect damage so far in 3 years.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
winter growing...getting over the blues
Well I am really late starting this year as we normally...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™