Silver Ice

alameda/zone 8June 19, 2014

This is a pretty, subtle color - blooms tend to come all at once so make a showing, and it makes a big healthy clump.
Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

AND its a real beauty.I love this one. I have one called SILVER SHOWERS but had not hear of this one before. I love it, but, love most daylilies anyway. got more to post??

jean

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 12:33PM
organic_kitten(8)

That is very pretty. A lovely clump. I actually prefer the "big show" effect rather than a bloom here and there. The best of all is consecutive big shows. Although I am a sucker for daylilies with eyes, I have noticed that I really appreciate some of my older ones that are more just one color or with subtle shading.
kay

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 1:15PM
alameda/zone 8

This is a 1983 tet. by Munson. Wasn't sure if anyone would like it, pale coloring, no eye or edges.........but is has these lovely shadings when looked at closely that I love. I was at Jack Carpenter's new place recently [he sold the Lily Farm to nephew Mark] and I was totally wowed by the gorgeous, huge, dinner plate sized blooms. No ruffled frilly edges and big eyes as are seen now - just gorgeous, HUGE lilies with all kinds of lovely coloring. My friends and I didn't know where to look first. I bought some lovely ones and will look forward to seeing them mature and bloom in the coming years.

Another I just adore is Blue Pink Beauty, Stamile 2002 tet. One of the most beautiful clear pinks, and large too, that I have seen. No big yellow eye [just a muted yellow], no frilly yellow edges - just a large clear, pure pink that allows one to see the simple, elegant beauty of the bloom. One of my favorites - as is Gone Fishing, who is a grandchild of BPB - by Pink Aloha. I have all of these - I do believe BPB is my favorite. Here is photo - don't know how to put on more than one photo at a time.....
Judith

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 2:04PM
bragu_DSM 5

ala ⦠how big is your pot, and do you just leave it there? If so, how often do you repot?

thnx

dave

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 2:47PM
ruthz

That is beautiful. And I seem to love all the whites.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 2:50PM
alameda/zone 8

Dave, I have what is called my "hoop house bed" where I put pvc pieces over the bed in case I want to cover the bed in mid summer with shade cloth - it gets full, all day sun. I have 3 beds made with landscape timbers. I fill the bottom part with composted manure that has aged from my horse stalls [this is really good stuff - mulch my roses with it, they love it!]. I then finish filling the beds with a mix I get from a soil service that is loaded with a front end loader into my truck bed. It is 1/3 each of mushroom compost, sand, and bark fines. Daylilies and roses love it! I mulch the paths and keep the lilies watered. You can see shade fabric partially on the hoops but I took it off and didn't need it for the rest of the summer in 2013 - but if it gets too hot with no rain, will do so. I planted these beds in fall 2012, but now they have mostly gotten so big that I am going to have to take out every other plant in the fall to give them room and divide some if necessary. I am getting ready to work on another bed using cinder blocks, which will be about the same height as my landscape timbers, and more permanent. I may try planting some daylily seedlings in the holes in these blocks! Or could plant moss rose.....would look pretty. I fertilize and keep the beds watered, and they really grow and bloom well. Here is a photo taken several weeks ago before the lilies started blooming. I have other different beds - some with roses and annuals interspersed, some with daylilies as edging, some round beds with birdbaths in the middle.......and still needing to build more beds!
Judith

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 4:44PM
alameda/zone 8

Here is a part of another bed behind my horse barn filled with roses, daylilies and annuals. In this bed, have Alabama Jubilee, Alpha Centauri, South Seas, Fragrant Returns, a red seedling called The Fireman, and some others. Not all blooming in this photo, but you get the idea. I have done mostly peach and yellow roses and yellow/orange colored daylilies with purple salvia thrown in. I have a pot that is filled with creeping jenny and miniature red mandavilla. Plan to include some periwinkles in white as I get time. Working on another bed just like this on the other side of the barn. Have lights out there and can work in them at night - really nice in cool evenings and don't have to work in the blasting sun! The large shrub blooming purple is a crepe myrtle. You can see in far background another under tree with birdbath I am working on - it has a huge gardenia in it and when I am working back there, can smell the marvelous perfume of it. That bed gets morning sun in back and afternoon sun in front - plans call for bridal wreath in back, daylilies in front.
Judith

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 4:55PM
mantis__oh

The green throat on Silver Ice is so radiant.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 9:40PM
maximus7116(MI)

I think they're both beautiful. I'm appreciating the subtle coloration of lighter daylilies more every year, plus Silver Ice that elegant Munson form I like.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
Spiders in the garden.
I was thinking maybe we could do a post with everyone's...
Billi
Those wonderful "W" daylilies, let's see them!
We would like to see all of the wonderfyl W dsylilies!...
sherrygirl zone5
Trying multiple pics
This is an experiment to see if I can insert muliple...
sherrygirl zone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™