Should I paint the trunck

az_pamperedchef(9)June 1, 2011

I have a Black Mission tree planted last October and it appears to be doing well. Yeah! This will be its first summer here in the low desert of AZ. I'm wondering if I should paint the trunk like we do with our citrus trees to protect them from the scorching sun. Any ideas? Also, in the photo you'll see an "off-shoot" on the tree, should I cut it off or leave it alone?

Sorry if the pics sideways, I've tried rotating it several times to no avail.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wabikeguy(7 AB)

I have several year and a half old in ground black mission trees here in Lake Havasu. Our temps here get a bit hotter than in the valley, I think.

None are painted, and all appear healthy with no bark peeling or other signs of deterioration. Two of them are over four feet tall allready. They're tough little guys.

I would suggest you mulch real heavy (as in 4-6 inches deep for several feet around your tree) though. Fig trees tend to be shallow rooted. Unmulched ground temps can get pretty high in our 110+ degree summers.

Dave

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 9:15PM
wabikeguy(7 AB)

Also...if it were my tree, I would leave the shoot. I train all trees with several leaders....three or four at least. The bushier shape makes for a wider tree with more low leaves to provide shade for both the exposed bark and the ground beneath the tree.

That's how I do it and it has worked for me so far.
Hopefully thisisme will chime in here as well with his advice. He's been doing this in our climate a while longer than I have.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 9:22PM
nkesh099(6)

If you are really concern about the sun, instead of painting the trunk I would wrap it with white colored tree warp. Sun doesn't affect the bark on my fig trees and temps can reach 100F here.
During winter I do wrap the trunk of my crimson queen japanese maple, apple and Persimmon trees.

white colored tree wrap,

http://www.amazon.com/Dewitt-3-Inch-50-Foot-White-TW3W/dp/B0016AJC0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307030987&sr=8-1

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 12:19PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Thank you both for your responses. It seems I don't need to paint it then. I have mulched it to about 4" so that's a good thing.

nkesh099, you do wrap your persimmon tree so I guess I should paint my persimmon tree then?

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 2:48PM
nkesh099(6)

I do not like to paint any of my trees, if I would paint them my neighbors would think I am crazy. I do wrap them with white colored tree wrap only in winter and will take them off by March-April. I do not wrap them in summer.

Navid.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
I just bought a fig tree!!
Hi all, I recently bought a fig tree, a "Lattarula"...
mssfiggy
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
Looking for Cuttings
Hi All. Been looking for fig cuttings. I have 2 Chicago...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™