new to vegetable gardening Lk. Okee area

mj863January 30, 2012

Hello All,

Recently retired and preparing for my garden. I use to grow 20 tomato plants twice a year and that is about the extent of my gardening. From 1975 to 1986, I worked for a large farming corporation, but it was in the parts dept. for the farm equipment.

I live on the southwest shore of Lake Okeechobee (which I have been here all my 54 years of life) and have plotted out an area 50' x 24' and plan to grow 1 row of tomatos, 3 rows of green beans and 3 rows of conk peas. I am growing for my family and friends to can and freeze. I have already acquired info from the site and thought I would join, because I know I will need help. Hope to hear from you guys.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sumala(9 fl)

Hello Mike and welcome to Garden Web.

Are the specs biting now?

Southwest sounds like Morehaven or Buckhead. I love that area.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 8:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mj863

I live just outside Moore Haven towards Clewiston. Spec fishing is ok. Bass fishing has been great. Although I haven't fished since I sold my boat 10 yrs ago after an accident at work. I bought an HD in 03 and never got back in to fishing.

I have been reading about those Everglades tomatoes and would like to try some of those some time. All the tomatoes that I use to grow come from a commercial grower and I obtained them as plants. I am try starting from seed in a flat. I hope I did not screw up by using potting soil. I now read that I should have used a soiless seed starter.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™