Loblolly Pine

triumphsprintOctober 9, 2011

I planted two loblolly pines about 3 years ago and they have been doing great. We have had a terrible drought here, but I have tried to keep them healthy. The larger of the two really looked fantastic until a few days ago...it seems to me that overnight it has gone from a vibrant green to literally every needle has turned brown and is falling off. I have no idea what has happened. the other one planted maybe 20 feet away still looks good.

What could cause it to do this so fast?

I appreciate the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a(Alexandria, VA 7B/8A)

Perhaps you could post a photo of it? Are the needles of the newest (this years) growth also turning brown and falling off?
Pinus Taeda should be able to handle the heat just fine is it is a warmer climate conifer. Could it be drought stress? Perhaps it did not get the same water as the others? Or, Many pines (some much more than others) do a considerable needle drop in fall, but usually that is it shedding its oldest needles. Anything else look off?

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 4:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scotjute

Has every needle turned brown and fallen off or almost every needle, meaning there are still some on it that are green?
How much and how often have you watered them?

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
Larix decidua 'Pendula' & Picea abies 'Spring Fire'
I am looking for Larix decidua 'Pendula'. I understand...
ladylotus
Quick growing - but not huge - conifers?
I'm looking for a few conifers to shield an unattractive...
lizzyd
Is this an Abies Disease?
I just noticed that my Abies koreana 'Blauer Pfiff'...
garcanad
Weeping Hemlock in NJ
Hi all! I am a regular on the lawn care forum, but...
danielj_2009
Thuja green giant look at this picture
Hi I bought 13 Thuja Green Giants and planted them...
midnight727200
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™