It's not a WEED!!

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bJune 13, 2010

When I got my cuttings from UC Davis, on the advice of some old Greek I encountered on the web, I laid some of them in 1.5" trenches, and covered them with dirt. The sun and water faded the ID tags, so I had no clue what was coming up.

Most of my cuttings are grape vines, and they pop up here and there. I noticed a row of 3 vines and have them staked. Then I spot one more plant coming up very close to those three.

This plant looks very strange to me. I think it's a grape, but it has odd looking leaves. I lived with this mystery for a few days, and today, I actually touched the leaves, and looked under them. They were very stiff. Not floppy at all. Is this a weed?

Suddenly, the light bulb went on! It's a FIG!! Which one? Ah ha!! Since the well marked one in peat/perlite is a Black Mission, and looks entirely different from the mystery Fig, it has to be Panachee!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

Congratulations desertdance. Once again an old tried and true fig rooting/propagation method has produced yet more trees to enjoy.

Two very nice figs for hot desert climates too.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 6:16PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Very nice!

I discovered a volunteer fig this spring....and I thought it was a grape at first, too!

Josh

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 9:48AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

A new one popped up this morning in an entirely different spot. Of course, the ID tag is gone, but time will tell if it's another Panachee, or Violette Du Bordeaux, or Black Mission. It's leaves are very tiny, but I'm savvy now! I know a baby fig from a baby grape!!

This is fun, even if they are mystery figs!!
Suzi

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 2:50PM
thisisme(az9b)

lucky for you these trees all have fruit that is easily differentiated one from another.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 4:38PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Another one popped up today! So, they were all laid in the ground around April 1st, and 3 months later, I'm still seeing new figs come up! So, patience is important with these figs! And it will be fun to see which tree is which variety. Next year, I hope!

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Fruits on Cuttings
Should I snip off these figs off the cuttings? I'm...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
Easy propagation method
I may have posted this before but I've read a number...
leon_edmond
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
What soil mix is good for Hardy Chicago fig in Cincinnati,Oh zone 6
I am starting a fig nursery to sell Hardy Chicago figs...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™