Is this Husker's Red Penstemon?

savona(z2bBCCanada)July 13, 2008

Marcia was generous and sent me seeds which I started last year.I am not sure if this is one of them. I thought the plants looked redder stemmed and darker foliage last year and from what I read the flowers are white with a pink tinge to them. These have a noticable blue tinge. savona

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

They look an awful lot like mine. :) I think mine are pretty much done now but there are pictures, i think, in the Gallery. The variation in colour could be due to your soil or their location, maybe. I just remember being disappointed that they weren't RED!

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 8:54AM
marricgardens

I have "Huskers Red' in my garden. When I bought mine, they told me to keep it in shade. I did and it didn't do to well so I moved it to a raised bed out front. It seems to love it there because it is doing very well. The 'red' in the name is from the foliage which is more purple. The flowers on mine are creamy white with a tinge of pink. I like Dave's Garden for various images of a plant. Here is a link to 'Huskers Red' - www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimages/190529

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 11:18AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

THe bottom leaves are dark green and the top part of the leaves and stems should be burgundy. Apparently this cultivar is notorious for having true strains that maintain their color well, and seed-grown strains that don't do quite so well.

Maybe they self-seeded back to the plain species?

Sharon

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 2:31PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Hmmm, i checked and mine are still blooming, and they look exactly like yours, Savona, maybe even bluer. So maybe they aren't true from seed. I'll have to look back and see if i can find earlier pictures to see if they were whiter before. I think they were.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™