fig won't produce fruit

hurricanesandyJune 24, 2007

I have a Golden Alma fig tree I transported from FL to Texas last year and haven't seen a fig yet. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kkfromnj

Must be a democrat :)

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 7:57PM
herman2_gw

I had one and i discarded it for the same reason
.in four years it grew very well but only produced a couple of fruits and droped another six.
I pinchedit,i thin it i pruned it and no results.
It will grow only tons of branches but no fruits.
Last Fall i discrded it.Good Ridance.!!!

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 8:31PM
mountainman0826(z8B TX)

My Alma (purchased at Fanick's Nursery in San Antonio, which also carried Blue Giant) took a few years to get going. I planted it in-ground. It died to the ground in 2003 and 2004. Since then it has survived the winters, producing a few fruit in 2005, more in 2006 and 50 or more this year. The figs are very good, sweet with a delicate, candy-like flavor. As Ray Given and others note, it is very "weedy". The suckers have to be periodically trimmed to keep the tree productive. Some trees do well in particular climates. Reportedly, the fruit buds are cold-sensitive on Alma, which might partially account for its lack of productivity in cooler zones.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 8:48AM
mountainman0826(z8B TX)

After I posted this morning, I went out and counted the number of figs on the Alma bush - just over 100 figs - enough to have more than a taste this year!

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 12:40PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I am hoping my Alma eventually kicks in and starts producing. It is in its 5th year without a fig crop. I got some brebas this spring which dropped before they were ripe. I did get a fig or two at some point and they were so tasty that I am motivated to give it several more years.

Scott

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 12:48PM
hlyell

I'm in Mississippi. My Alma came from Paradise Nursery in 2004 as a bare root small plant. Last year it produced and ripened 2 figs (very tasty), and this year it has produced right at 30 figs. I look forward to a better tasting this year. My Alma is in a pot, and after pruning this year it produced way too much new growth. I had to trim some and probably should have trimmed more. I think I would have more fruit now if I had.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree (indoor) help!
I bought a fiddle leaf fig tree from home depot just...
desdurso
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
Looking for Cuttings
Hi All. Been looking for fig cuttings. I have 2 Chicago...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™