Lost almost all my breba growth

recoil_rob(6)June 2, 2011

About 5 weeks ago the trees came out of the garage, they were beginning to bud out. There were plenty of breba growths on them. Another two weeks and all three trees were covered with tiny fruits the size of peas.

The leaf growth has been spectacular but today I took a careful look under the leaves and each tree has 2-4 large fruits but no more small ones. There seem to be scars where they dropped off, I found 2-3 on the ground, shriveled up.

They are in large tubs with Al's mixture and they are watered daily and fed Foliage Grow weakly, weekly.

Any idea's?

Will I get another crop?

thanks,

Rob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herman2_gw

Your cultivars are not breba producing figs but main crop mainly.
Of course even so,they manage in good years to keep a few brebas,that will develop without caprification,and be persistent.
If your figs were in Central California and you supplied branches of male caprifig,containing male fruits with live wasps inside and fresh polen,then all breba would have persisted and you would have had a large Breba harvest.
However,in your zone 6,if by a miracol the breba would have stayed on,and get ripe,then,the main crop would have never got ripe in your zone 6.
Because most breba fell off,your main crop figs will come on at the base of leaves,shortly now.
They would have been already visible now,as big as a kernel of corn,if you would have removed your breba figs,from when they appeared,so the tree did not have to feed them till this point.
Another big help would have been if you would have pinched your new growth after the fifth or sixth leaf.
Happy Gardening

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
recoil_rob(6)

Thank you for the information Herman, I feel better now and will remember for next year. However I have been waiting to start pinching as my plants are just beginning to show their 6th bud on each stem. I will probably be pinching this weekend.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
Lob Injir (Myrna or Calimyrna cuttings)
I'l like have cuttings of Lob Injir (....), I've allowable...
sergnic
fig question
Has anyone tried to grow fig olympian and did they...
boydanny
What soil mix is good for Hardy Chicago fig in Cincinnati,Oh zone 6
I am starting a fig nursery to sell Hardy Chicago figs...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Sponsored Products
Nonslip Area Rug Pad (Solid-surface Flooring) - 2' x 10'
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Kenroy Home Lamps 4 Square 30 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Table Lamp 21079ORB
$90.70 | Home Depot
Varaluz 24" Wide Area 51 Recycled Glass Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Hand Knotted Persian Rug | Wool super Kazak | 6' 7" x 8' 7" | H2573
BH Sun Inc
Wall Mount Oil Rubbed Bronze Single Handle Bathroom Faucet
Overstock.com
70"L x 32"W Red Cedar Contoured Picnic Table with (2) 70"L Benches & (2) 32"L Be
Fifthroom.com
Suspension Wall Desk
| Dot & Bo
Vig Furniture - Modern Black Leather Sectional - VG2T0626
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™