What kind of bug?

CrazyDaisy_68July 18, 2009

Hey everyone, I know I haven't posted here in a while but I am still around and gardening!

Yesterday my 10-year-old daughter was out in my garden looking at flowers, etc, and came across a bug that she described to me as "it had the shape of a ladybug but just a bit bigger but it was golden! Like shiny gold! Seriously! It looked like it belonged in a museum! Mom have you ever seen a bug like that?." My answer? "Nope"

Anyways, my first thought was blister beetle but aren't they more oval?

Any thoughts?

Ang

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

Perhaps a Golden Tortoise Beetle?

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 1:55PM
oilpainter(3)

It's an Asian lady bug and it consumes large quantities of aphids. Check out this site

http://canada-gardens.com/2ladybugs.html

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 5:03PM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

To Oilpainter, Thanks so much for posting the link to that site. I was surprised to see how much variety there is in lady bugs! But I found lots of other interesting info and links there also. I've bookmarked the site for later use.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 11:22PM
CrazyDaisy_68

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this! I had to catch up with my social butterfly and see what she thought of those links if anything would match up. Her comment was that it had the colouring of the tortoise beetle but you could see the legs. When I showed her the lady bug site she said, no not really because the bug she saw did not have any spots. Hmmm... I told her that next time she sees a cool bug to call me so I can snap a pic of it!

BTW that lady bug site is very cool and I had no idea either that there were so many types!

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™