What is this?

marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern OntarioJuly 1, 2008

Last year i WSed some seeds from a trade called "Artemesia Silver Sage". I was expecting something different, but this is what is in the holding bed this spring (dwarfing Laurie's cactus, which still hasn't found his permanent home):

Can anyone tell me who this really is? :) I've googled images of 'Silver Sage', and everything that comes up has narrow leaves, so it can't be that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chickadee__3a(z 3a Ontario)

I'm certainly no plant expert and don't know what that large leafed plant is, but those small ferny looking little plants look like they could be artemesia. I have only had the Silver Mound and it seems they looked like this as young plants. Good luck with your search. Please post when you get a definitive answer. I'm curious.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 10:43AM
sierra_z2b

Hi Marcia, Is it a type of verbascum?

Sierra

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 11:36AM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Sierra, heaven forbid! LOL I don't think it is - can't find a tag of course, but i haven't planted any verbascum in years - dug it up, yes, but not planted it!

Chickadee, the plant in back is a yellow achillea. Yes, 'Parker's Variety' - just found it in my WS notes. It's for my granddaughter, if my son ever gets another flower bed made for her!

I can't remember where the seeds came from, but it seems like they were mislabeled.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 12:23PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Salvia argentea Silver sage

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 12:35PM
chickadee__3a(z 3a Ontario)

Marcia, the plants I noticed were the little ferny ones--one behind the cactus, another bottom right and the 3rd beside the big leaf in front of the yarrow. What are they? They also look like cosmos.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 1:28PM

So it is a sage, Sharon? Wonder why i couldn't find anything on it. Will have to check that out. Thanks!

Chickadee, some of those ferny things are reseeded cosmos, some are dillweed. :)

Oh, and in the corner of the picture is Henry, Jr. Remember Henry Kelsey the cowb - uh, rose? That's his offspring, who overwintered in a container in the holding bed. Will have to plant him soon.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 2:09PM

Salvia argentia! Okay! LOL

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™