Male / female asparagus info

Snomam(Zone 3)July 6, 2006

I thought I would share some information I received when I wrote Jersey Asparagus Farms:

I bought a ten "all male" Giant Grade Jersey King and planted them this spring. One of them has tiny blossoms. Wouldn't that indicate that it's female? I'd like to pull that one out and replace it, but wanted to know for sure.

Reply:

All asparagus plants (male and female) will produce blossoms. The difference is that males will produce male flowers and the female plants will produce female flowers. After a month or so the female flowers turn into berries. That's when you will know if you have any females. The Jersey varieties are male hybrids, not all male. Somebody gave it the all male name many years ago when they shouldn't have. There are female plants mixed in the Jersey lines. In our commercial fields we just leave the females rather than pull them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valleyrimgirl(2b)

Kim,

Do you know if the size of the spear is different from the male to the female? I was told that the female asparagus has the thin spears while the male ones are the nice thick juicy ones that you actually want to pick and eat. Any truth to that idea? Can you ask?

Brenda

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 12:04PM
Snomam(Zone 3)

Someone on this thread had written about the size of the spear indicating which was male or female, but I don't know about that. I prefer the thinner ones anyway. Here's the link for Jersey Asparagus Farms, click on "questions" on the left side near the bottom and an email will open: http://www.jafinc.com/

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 12:22PM
twrosz

Kim, the variety 'Guelph Millenium' is an all male variety that you really should look into! I have this varitey along with 'Jersery Knight' ... and I'd say GM has a superior taste! Both are productive and of course never produce any seed!

Terry

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 3:49PM
Snomam(Zone 3)

Apparently 'Guelph Millenium' crowns aren't available in the U.S. yet, only seeds. I haven't had much luck with asparagus seeds.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 6:56AM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

For asparagus seeds, just sprinkle them on the ground wherever you want them to grow in the fall, and they'll be up next spring. Mine self seed this way.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 10:33PM
twrosz

YES, asparagus come EASILY from seed! You can sow them in the house in March, about 1/2 deep, average temperatures, and they'll be up in about two weeks. Plant out when the weather is settled.

Terry

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 1:42AM
More Discussions
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™