help with plant ID please

canadianprairiegirl(zone 3)July 17, 2009

sorry I couldn't get the photo to down load but I'm hoping some of you will be able to identify a perennial or biennial I was given last summer just from a verbal description! At the time it was small and flat like with long pointed leaves (similar to phlox) - this spring it really took off to 36-39" and produced panicles of pink, slightly scented (clove or spicey) flowers in June. When the flowers fell off, green needle shaped forms were left! Can anyone clue me in as to what this plant may be? Thank-you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squirelette

It sounds like a Stock. They come in a range of colors and have 2 different flower heads, sort of a drumstick shape and a more open shape. The flowers look very much like Phlox. It is a biennial. There is also Evening stocks but they are annual, the flowers do not get as big but they are more fragrant, the scent fills the yard after a rain or in the evening. If it is in a bed the seeds pods will seed themselves and you should get more. If you deadhead they will bloom throughout the summer although the flower heads tend to be smaller and less prolific. One of my must have box plants because of the scent and usually not bothered by bugs. The evening stocks can actually be overpowering if they are heavily planted. Hope this helps

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 11:43AM
canadianprairiegirl(zone 3)

thanks squirelette. I was wondering if it was a Stock - I just didn't think they got that big!!!! Unfortuntely I cut it down already and won't have any seed pods unless it comes back a second time. Happy gardening.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 10:52AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Long skinny needle shaped seed pods, sounds like Dame's Rocket (Hesperis matronalis) to me.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 12:02PM
canadianprairiegirl(zone 3)

Well it looks like Dame's Rocket is the winner after looking at the online images, thank-you Crazy Gardener. It was posted as an invasive weed in some areas but it did give the garden some nice color early on.

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 6:23PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

I agree, it's really pretty and it blooms early and it CAN be invasive. However, just cut back most of the seed pods, you only need a few to self seed.

Sharon

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry Tree
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has grown one of...
troman1973
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
Austen's anyone?
I know Riki grows a lot of Austen's in zone 4. Anyone...
sowandgrow
Signs of Spring
I might be getting a little eager, but as a newbie...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
Sponsored Products
Eclipse Custom Bathroom Pedestal Vanity - Floating Blue Vetrazzo
Modern Bathroom
Smart Spa Hot Tubs & Accessories Proline 80 sq. ft. Filter Cartridge for
$49.48 | Home Depot
Pop N' Fold Laundry Sorter
$8.99 | zulily
Progress Lighting P3028-15 Victorian Two-Light Chrome Bath Light With White Opal
Progress Lighting
Amba | Sirio S-2933 Towel Warmer
$720.00 | YBath
Jaded Pebbles Rug 5'9" Round
$659.00 | Horchow
18 Ga Sink 2 Strainers 2 GridsCutting Board
PLFixtures
Merrimack Collection 2-Light Flush Mount Ceiling Light
$77.90 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™