ID help for me too

marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern OntarioJuly 4, 2007

Here's a plant that has been happily trying to take over the world for years now. I've dug clumps out. I've RIPPED clumps out. I've said nasty words to it. Still there, and now it has started travelling to other parts of the garden. It has underground runners, and it just keeps going and going and going....

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

Does it flower?

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 3:57PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Not the Creeping Charlie that infests my lawn. It has perfectly round leaves at the end, not pointed like Marcia's. The leaves are darker green too. And you can't mistake the smell.

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 8:18PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

It sort of looks like the pictures at that site, Brenda, but not quite. Creeping Charlie looks like it's a darker green than this thing, and i agree with Gil about the point on the leaves. I've never seen it flower, either, and i've never noticed a scent. What does Creeping Charlie smell like, Gil?

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 10:47PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

It's a mint family member and smells very pungent when crushed or mowed. It doesn't smell like mint but if you smelled it you would never forget it. I find the smell pleasant but it's strong and a tad skunky. Also CC blooms freely, tiny catnip-like purple spotted flowers.

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 8:54AM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Does it grow a stem? If it does, what does the cross section look like? Except for perhaps in really bad growing conditions, seems a pretty worthless plant to me.

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 4:23PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Marcia, try the Name that Plant forum like Gil did, those guys know their plants!

Sharon

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 1:34AM

Rick, the stems are rounded in the front and flat at the back.

Sharon, maybe i'll try that if Rick doesn't know. He sounds like he's thinking of something!

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 10:41AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Marcia, I was reading your thread at the Name that Plant forum and Remy suggested Campanula takesimana. I think he just might be right, because the leaves do become more pointed later on.
I'll see if I can take a photo of my takesimana tomorrow of the low growing leaves and the pointed ones, it should be flowering soon too.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Thug ID needed

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 2:33AM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

Sharon and Marcia,

I know that it is for sure not Campanula Takesimana.

You can see in the picture its leaves are also serrated on the edges, similar to Marcia's but are much more pointed and darker in coloring. They also have a rough feeling to the leaves.

They are a much shinier dark green in color compared to the Cherry Bells, Elizabeth, Bowl of Cherries or the Sarasota. My Takesimana is in full bloom.

Marcia, is your plant(s) blooming yet? Are the leaves smooth feeling or do they have a rough texture like a cat's tongue?

Brenda

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 6:30AM

Nothing's blooming yet, but i had forgotten that i had dug out some of it a few years ago and planted it down at my son's - he wanted something that would just take over! LOL Anyway, yesterday i noticed a couple of flower stalks in his so it will bloom soon.

Hang on while i run out and feel the texture - i'm pretty sure it's smooth, but let's see. Back. So fast the mosquitoes missed me! Okay, the leaf is relatively smooth on both sides but not satiny smooth. There is a very slightly rough texture but not like a cat's tongue.

Brenda, how is your Takesimana for invasiveness?

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 9:41AM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

I have had it for about 4 years. The last two years I have dug about 10 babies off the clump to sell at my garage sale. There is only about 10-15 shoots on it right now. I started off with 3 or 4.

So, as for invasiveness...I would say that it isn't in my yard.

How tall is yours now?

Brenda

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 5:16PM

Most are only a few inches high. One at my son's is about 12 - 14 inches high. It has a bloom spike on it so i'll be able to see what it is when it blooms. What's in that picture above is just part of it. It's crawling all through one end of my front bed and finding its way to other parts of it. I'll take another picture soon. We're going to the lake for the weekend so it won't be until next week.

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Trying new tree varieties and update on rare trees
Hey everyone, What are some of the trees you've all...
www.eclipselandscaping.ca
Polar Bear Willow
I posted this last night but it seems to have disappeared....
sazzyrose
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Sponsored Products
Altus Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Modern Fan Company
$280.00 | Lumens
Ogee Chain Rug 4' x 6' - BEIGE
$689.00 | Horchow
Fabbian | Tile D95 E08 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Malakeh Rug 8' x 11' - SLATE
$1,899.00 | Horchow
Famous Maker Prestige Comfort Protection Mattress Topper
Overstock.com