What Time of Day Do Butterflies Feed?

Nell JeanJuly 16, 2008

Lvtgarden's thread in the Gallery is getting heavy with pics to load, so I'm taking one of her questions here with a single pic.

Feeding time in my garden varies with the position of the sun. Spicebush swallowtails were swarming red porterweed at 9 am today. A few swallotails and Gulf fritillaries are on tithonia. A few are visiting blue porterweed and lantana in dappled shade. Mid afternoon, they'll be split between tithonia and yellow lantana in sun. Pentas always have visitors when the sun is out.

Even DH comes out to watch the show while butterflies feed on red porterweed!

I've noticed that plants on the ends of beds, or accesible from an open area are the most popular. They seem to like to have 'landing and takeoff room' as they visit.

Nell

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
todancewithwolves(Z9 CA)

Different butterflies are active at different times of the day. In the morning you may see butterflies basking in the sun warming up to fly or feeding flowers. As the sun fades later in the day some butterflies and/or moths become active while others start to roost.

There is no set time. It really depends on your zone and how warm the day has become.

Edna

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers!! A few of us having...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™