Over head watering and roses

SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)July 6, 2013

I know I could put this on the Roses forum but we have enough extremely knowledge people in our community I thought I would start here.

I am planning on putting in an island next year to fill with roses. The location that I want it in would make watering the lawn on one side if it very challenging (well expensive) if I don't spray over the planned rose bed. The lawn is watered every second day in the hot summer and in the spring and fall I manually turn on the system as needed.

Everything I have read suggests that spraying over the roses is very bad for them. But most of the people I got this info from are in humid climates. I am the exact opposite. What are your thoughts? I can't afford to do both the extra irrigation and the roses. After seeing North's nice gardens and not noticing any irrigation to avoid spraying the beds while watering the grass has given me some hope.

TIA

SCG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

My climate isn't even as dry as it was when I was a kid, but I honestly don't get the diseases everyone else complains about in roses. I totally overhead water all the time. I don't know exactly what the difference is but I've challenged my climate by growing notorious disease magnets, and not had the problems. My roses have a couple of spots of rust this year, and I occasionally see powdery mildew, but never blackspot.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:22PM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Thanks North. I really want to put this garden in such a bad way. There is so much information out there on each side it is mind boggling. Think I might go for it.

SCG

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 6:00PM
shillanorth Z4 AB

Mine just get watered along with the lawn using a regular sprinkler - it`s so dry here I never have a problem with blackspot or mildew.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™