Prairie Dawn Info Please

shootingstar2(zone 3/4)July 4, 2007

Hi all,

This spring I picked up a Prairie Dawn on impulse not really knowing much about it's habits at time or purchase. A quick look/read indicated it might get big and might sucker so I placed it in the front lawn off by itself just to see what it would do in it's first year.

I has been impressive, just covered with blooms that are much larger than I was expecting in huge clusters of pink.

As I read and research more I am seeing wildly different reports on mature size. I have even seen it suggested as a climber or rambler substitute for colder zones. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should move it. As I am always searching for climbers/ramblers that I can fill in the back fence with.

Can anyone who is growing it comment on it's size and performance?

Also, how does it compare with the other Prairie's (joy, youth, peace) in the set.

thanks a bunch

shootingstar

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Yes, it grows very tall, my PD is about 5.5 feet tall and about 4.5 ft wide, it's about 6 years old. I don't find that it suckers out of control.

All the Prairies are all beautiful and hardy, if you've got the space get them all ;)

Sharon

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 1:21AM
shootingstar2(zone 3/4)

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the info, that's not too bad and about what I thought initially, however I saw some reports that said 12 x 10 and started to really wonder.

I agree all the prairies are lovely and P.Peace is on my list for sure for next year after seeing those pics in the June Roses thread. Don't know if I'll be able to fit in the other 2 though, sigh.... so many roses I NEED and so little space.

How is the repeat on your PD? Does the foliage stay decent looking through the later part of summer?

thanks again
Cathy

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 8:44AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Hi Cathy, you're in a warmer zone than I, so yours may get taller. I can see in zone 6/7 where this rose can get huge!

PD will intermittent until frost if you have the time and patience to snip off the spent blooms. Stop deadheading around August and let the others form hips, this will signal the rose to get ready for winter. Right now my PD foliage on the bottom part is not looking so great, bad year for blackspot for me.

Sharon

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
crabapple trees
The woodpeckers have done a real number on one of my...
marricgardens
Canada's Quest to Breed Super Hardy Roses Article
I came across this interesting article on the rose...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Polar Bear Willow
I posted this last night but it seems to have disappeared....
sazzyrose
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - Imperial Court Tufted Sofa-Group 2-Opt 2 -...
Great Furniture Deal
Fresco Luxe Sheet Set
$937.50 | FRONTGATE
Uttermost Forest At Dawn Landscape Art
Beyond Stores
Lite Source Eveleen Floor Lamp with Tray Table
Lamps Plus
Elk Lighting Barrington Gate Wall Sconce - Hazelnut Bronze - 42035/1
$160.00 | Hayneedle
Standard Pineapple Address Plaque
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™