Staking trees

morphoz3a_abJuly 12, 2010

Hi

I have an Evans cherry (tree form) at the front of my house with an eastern exposure. It's about 4 years old now. It had a sort of offset leader to start with, but now the leader is really leaning to the northeast, away from the shadow of the house. I staked it when it was new but took off the stakes when it was a year in, and it seemed to be fine - i.e. growing up. Now the whole tree is leaning northeast, and it looks awful. All of my perennials lean to the east, but that doesn't bother me as much because it's easier to stake those, and they face the street.

Does anyone know if I stake the main trunk low and stake the leader if I have to leave it like that for the rest of it's life? The reason I ask is that I have a fairly small front yard and the stake supports will have to go across a pathway. Can I stake it for the winter and take it off for the summer? I'm just not sure how trees respond to staking.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Is this Evans on it's own root?
If yes, then I would think a stake you only need about 2 or 3 years...if the trunk was pruned up into a tree form. I let my Evans grow into a shrub, no staking necessary. If this tree was grafted to a root stock, then you might have to stake it longer, it's because sometimes by the graft union, there is a weak spot and have to keep an eye on it. You wouldn't need to tie it down across a path, just put one
or two tree sakes about 10 inches from the trunk and tie with a old rubber hose,..it's not a good idea taking it off between.
A picture would be helpful.

Konrad

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 12:41AM
More Discussions
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™